CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 05-06-2019, 04:51 PM

tomak baksik is on a distinguished road
attached .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glasma.jpg (30.8 KB, 70 views)
Old 05-06-2019, 06:32 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
candidly, those are terrible numbers. Silica less than 65%? Potassium, less than 20%? One would hope so on one and expect bad results with the other. It doesn't even consider the other profoundly vague percent in that screen shot.

It doesn't appear to note which glass it is.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:32 PM

John Riepma is on a distinguished road
But if they're all at or near the max it shows that they are giving the customer 125%

Or less.

This must be for those occasions when just giving less than 110% is no longer enough.

Which is what we've all grown used to.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:34 PM

Tom Fuhrman is on a distinguished road
It appears that Booma is affiliated or owned by Bohemia Machine. If that is the case, Bohemia Machine has had a lot of experience making equipment for the glass industry including automatic cutting machines. They have made equipment for many glass factories. If this is in fact true, I suspect that they can be capable of producing some decent cullet if they actually find it to be a profitable venture.
It appears they may have some financial interests from Otakar Motka who has a large group of companies he owns including the producer of Simax borosilicate glass that according to their website has the capability to melt 200 tons per day. It will b e interesting to see how this all develops.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:22 PM
The Old Gaffer

Thanks Tom, that's very helpful. I think that your observation about "If they can make money at it" to be the key. In my mind, knowing the cost of shipping the Cristallica to N.Carolina and the subsequent costs distributing, $1.41 has me substantially less than impressed. I see money being churned here. I do think that a battle for dominance will happen in this first year. So far, this is the apparent nice goop on the block. It may be the case that Oceanside just sticks to the fusers. Who do I see screwed? Cristallica. If these guys are smart, they'll move on the european market as well.

As to the Boro, I don't find it relevant at this point. While Boro is being made, the daily demand for boro cullet is pretty small. Abe has Gaffer making some boro cullet for them. The other small makers aren't going to benefit from any of that.

That's as I see it today. Now we need the jury to report back on the caustic nature of Charlie's goop. I hope it works. This has certainly been a Keystone Cops kind of approach.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:26 PM

Sky Campbell is on a distinguished road
Not that it's really relevant but when they draw borosilicate tubing for scientific use the tolerances are small. They cull a tremendous amount of out of tolence glass that is either remelted or sold on the secondary market for cheap. I'm going to guess gaffer is the only ones making borosilicate cullet intentionally.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:50 PM

Dennis Walker is on a distinguished road
Olympic taking orders for Oceanside Nuggets

Just got a email from Olympic announcing Ocean Side Nuggets 55# bags 40 to a pallet in stock and ready so ship from Seattle. $1.50 a lb before shipping.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:57 PM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
Ouch, that's more than the bomma.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:48 PM
The Old Gaffer

Keep fantasizing. It really has to hit $1.65 before money is made by the producers. Look at raw cost. Look at process costs. Look at shipping. look at distributor costs.
The only way prices stay down at all is if the distributor calculates tha selling under costs makes the distributor sell ancillary stuff at a better profit. That's been a model in the Northwest for years.

Where people have to step back is to look at how many dollars are getting tied up in a single piece. The higher price for the finished piece, the less it matters. On little stuff, it's a major problem.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:50 AM

I can't understand why spectrum got into the cullet game if they were't making any money. Ancillary wise they were never a major player in the hot color game. If there is any kind of issue with the new no boric oceanside and the general color manufacturers, then it is bound to be dead in the water.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:07 PM
The Old Gaffer

Spectrum was owned in part by Dale's cousin. It had made sheet glass for windows in uninspired colors for a long time and that business collapsed in 2008 essentially.

I can't recall when Spectrum started making cullet and it's hard to say what influenced them beyond excess capacity. It could have been Dale encouraging them since prior to that Pilchuck used Northwest Glass as a primary cullet supply and it was dreary as a glass even with boatloads of soda dumped into it. In the final game, the real estate was worth far more than the meager profit it offered and those furnaces are not cheap yet all needed to go.

When I was there, Pilchuck was using about 3,000 lbs a week and that was well before the surge into glass from the '80's. Close shipping was indeed an issue. Being able to drive down to Seattle from Stanwood saved a lot of cash.

It will be interesting to see how the Oceanside does in the market. I don't see what you replace boron with unless it's fluorine or lithium and lithium is a financial rollercoaster. Fluorine, well, it justs eats your tooling.

I expect a lot of shaking out in the next 18 months. If it's fluorine, the kiln crowd will really hate it. Goodbye elements.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:53 PM

Nepotism creates strange bedfellows.

I'm thinking it was the early '10s that they started doing the cullet. I was getting supersacs of the the cutoffs in late '09, and tried the nuggets for casting projects in '10. By mid '13 they transitioned to the 2.0 and everyone went henny penny. Know the last time I was at chuck in '12 they were using Spruce.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:10 PM
The Old Gaffer

I knew they were using SP87 for some time. I didn't know the timing. It was really slow.