CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > Classified Ads/ Opportunities

Old 01-01-2021, 11:06 AM

Tom Fuhrman is on a distinguished road
when I was at the Rodefer Gleason auction in 1984, they had an iron mold to make a 48" diameter sphere in thier archives. You could literally stand inside of it.
You are so right on about the SW debacle. Some of the molds went to Davis Lynch who also used to make a lot of rather large pieces. I had a few large molds like the GE street light mold that I sold to Gary Guydosh and not sure what happened to all of those after he passed away. He bought an entire truck load from me when I moved from middle Tennessee.
Somewhere I have a video of an old film from one of the window glass companies showing them blowing the cylinders and then cutting them and running them thru the oven to flatten them. I also have on that same video a film of them making the drawn cylinders that would be up to about 16" long. It's an amazing thing to watch as most in our generation have never experienced it.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:25 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
The current generation gets all excited if you suggest using a potato to stir.

When Eveline was interested in buying molds and taking them back to China for some design combo work we were doing, I had occasion to try to get many from Fenton and was rebuffed. His indication was that they would rather melt them down then to send them there. Eveline was certainly being prejudged. I watched her turned away from entering shows on that basis. The last piece I had from her was really a handsome vase in a cad sel red that had been dinged really badly. It took me two and a half hours to smooth it out and polish it too where you could not tell it had ever been whacked. Really nice design. The cad sel glass was my doing. Eveline sells work to the Chinese middle class, 350 million of them.

Henry told me a story about teaching at Pilchuck with Anne Robinson using her casting technique which we were using in the Shanghai factory at the time. She was so upset to see Chinese students in her class and Henry has always said that you have to give it up if you're going to teach. She sucked it up. By the end of the class those kids were laughing with her and they had become close friends.

The people who make glass in the Glassblowers of Herat all spoke of their favorite pieces as do all glassworkers really if you give them enough to drink. It's really a big family if you can just drop your guard. In China, the ones the factories fear are other factories stealing workers, not the workers themselves and headhunting is real here. . In Arkansas the workers were blindsided by the greatest foe they ever had, the corporate raider. That was a heartbreaker. Fenton was a heartbreaker too, just in a different way. All those wonderful glass shops, like fallen flags.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:45 PM
The Old Gaffer

Eben: Too late to save the thread. We've got the bit in our teeth.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:10 PM

Scott Dunahee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
The current generation gets all excited if you suggest using a potato to stir.
I was not prepared for the ensuing violence the first time I stirred with a potato.

BSD
Old 01-01-2021, 07:11 PM
The Old Gaffer

Did it work?
Old 01-01-2021, 08:21 PM

Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig is on a distinguished road
“ the bit in our teeth”
Potatoes?
Thats nothing... I didnt believe in the old wife's tales using potatoes- had to go high tech, shoved a pipe with compressed air into the bottom of a 300 Kg pot of glass and opened up full barrel....before I could react and release the air handle, all the glass in the pot came surging up in an ever expanding bubble that kind of tore itself apart all over the inside of the furnace. As I staggered backwards in total disbelief I realized the stainless pipe had oxidized off at the glass line so I was just holding a stump.
It was not a problem though- I had designed the furnace to be able to take a full pot failure in a box outside the furnace, and could be drained from there
Old 01-01-2021, 08:39 PM

Eben- I agree with you, that would work also, especially if you lined it with a few layers of wet newspaper, just to make it more slick.
The “vase” as such pictured, is hardly worth an effort above 50$, but just tokeep craftweb on the ventilator, we can play with scenarios
Old 01-02-2021, 09:28 AM
The Old Gaffer

the bit in our teeth is a reference to a horse having grabbed the mouthpiece which signals control commands to a horse. Once it has the bit in it's teeth, that no longer works and you're potentially in a lot of trouble, particularly at a gallop. You go where the horse goes if you're lucky.
You use the potato for the exact reasons you experienced. even then, a face shield is a good idea if you've never done it. The potato actually works better since you can rub it along the walls and floor and really get that older stiffer glass loose. It can really lengthen the life of a pot that is beginning to throw cords.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:32 AM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig View Post
but just to keep craftweb on the ventilator, we can play with scenarios
It indeed has been quiet and the virus can take credit. our pot sales are off about 30% from the prior year but I'm not seeing people throwing in the towel, they are just in hibernation.

We did solve the problems on phishing registering in the short term but the long term outlook has yet to be properly addressed over what to do with the board. .
Old 01-02-2021, 09:44 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It indeed has been quiet and the virus can take credit. our pot sales are off about 30% from the prior year but I'm not seeing people throwing in the towel, they are just in hibernation.

We did solve the problems on phishing registering in the short term but the long term outlook has yet to be properly addressed over what to do with the board. .
I canít tell you how many people have told me that they have tried to register here to contribute or ask a question but couldnít because they have a Gmail email address.

Also, having to use your real name keeps away a lot of people who donít want their names to come up on google.

Addressing those two issues would breathe new life into this place.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:20 AM

Tom Fuhrman is on a distinguished road
I used to use the potato method with good results.
On another interesting bit, Last night I was on a zoom group call with Alex Cheng in Thailand, who owns and runs the company that makes about 85% of the Pandora brand beads. He does not put his beads into an annealer as they produce them. They use a bubble insulation similar to vermiculite and then later put as many as 1000+ beads into a small annealer and gang anneal them all at once. They literally make 100,000's of beads for the retail jewelry trade that are sold all over the world. He said the smaller beads they many times just let air anneal before doing a large gang anneal. Doing what works and has been proven over many years of time is still a good guide to go by. What variety of potato did people find worked best? Ha Ha
Old 01-02-2021, 11:17 AM

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
Quote:
There is one in the Vaxjo museum here about that size- they gathered 60 kg of glass, on a 3 meter long pipe.. yes they had chain blocks and double guy blocks, but in the end,one guy blew and swinged it in a 12 foot ditch - can you imagine?
There's a film somewhere
Lamberts has a number of videos on their Utoob channel showing the workers on the factory floor. Shows them using the trench to elongate the bubble.

https://www.youtube.com/user/LambertsGlas/videos
Old 01-02-2021, 11:23 AM

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben Horton View Post
Back to the original question. If anyone were to choose to take this job, Iíd recommend cutting out 20 to 30 pieces of the profile of the shape of the vase out of plywood with a jigsaw. Then you mount them all on a base and soak it for a few days in water. Itís the easiest way to get a workable blow mold that only needs to be used a few times.
Plywood for blow mold no bueno.

Toxic fumes.

Yada-yada, formaldehyde. But, something's going to kill you. Right?

I'm off for another beer and cigarette.
Old 01-02-2021, 03:21 PM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben Horton View Post
I canít tell you how many people have told me that they have tried to register here to contribute or ask a question but couldnít because they have a Gmail email address.

Also, having to use your real name keeps away a lot of people who donít want their names to come up on google.

Addressing those two issues would breathe new life into this place.
New life is relative. I'm genuinely not interested in hearing someone flame someone using a fake name. When people register, I actually check them out and I turn away some. The last thing I welcome is the sort of idiocy one sees on facebook.

I'm not interested in promoting anyone's glass either. This is a place for technical concerns . At any given time (say right now) we have 205 guests looking through the board. I've seen as many as 1500 at one time. It's virtually never less than 150. Europe, Asia, all over.
I closed the seeds and stones board to non members a long time ago when people raised concerns about the google spider. I'm considering closing the color and chemistry board as well. If you're a member, you can read them, if not, you won't know they are even there.

It does not keep me up at night. People inevitably come around when they have trouble.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:23 PM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
ď the bit in our teethĒ
Potatoes?
Thats nothing... I didnt believe in the old wife's tales using potatoes- had to go high tech, shoved a pipe with compressed air into the bottom of a 300 Kg pot of glass and opened up full barrel....before I could react and release the air handle, all the glass in the pot came surging up in an ever expanding bubble that kind of tore itself apart all over the inside of the furnace. As I staggered backwards in total disbelief I realized the stainless pipe had oxidized off at the glass line so I was just holding a stump.
It was not a problem though- I had designed the furnace to be able to take a full pot failure in a box outside the furnace, and could be drained from there
Yes but now you have a ****ing amazing story. I seem to remember you posting this before but it's a good classic. Made my day!
Old 01-02-2021, 07:08 PM
The Old Gaffer

Russets, think Russets. Drill the tater first. Hold yur breath..
Old 01-02-2021, 10:14 PM

Greg- those Lambert links are great, thanks- but I was looking for an old film Ive seen a long time ago where the were making really big muffs.
Jordan- well we cant let a good story be forgotten, HaHa!

Last edited by Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig; 01-02-2021 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Emojs didnt work
Old 01-02-2021, 11:15 PM

I agree with using real names, it gives credibility to the post, and it certainly has kept the flaming/arguments at a minimum
If you are afraid to be googled, don't write anything you can’t stand up to.
The gmail policy I don’t quite follow, if you can verify the person Pete?
As for the future and recording of this forum, I dont know if you have any financial ambitions with it.
Editing would seem insurmountable. Is it not possible to save it in whole as a searchable database just as it is?
As far as you stepping down, that’s probably the end of it.
I joined as a guy running a studio, to share and get help from others like myself. - I've approached before that I think its been foolish to spill the beans to hundreds of professional industrial spy's from countries that don’t resemble ours, and I would still advocate keeping them out, although its too late
Old 01-03-2021, 08:00 AM
The Old Gaffer

The email issue is Katie's and she's firm about it. I can register someone with a gmail address but they have to ask me directly. What's funny is Katie's email is hotmail.

You were here from the beginning Michael, back when you were in Denmark so you remember what it was like when I took it on.

I have to say that it's rare for two weeks to pass here without my learning something new. I find that remarkable. I look at facebook and wince. I'm surprised by how much crap is stored in my head.

We will likely store the whole thing in its entirety on one of my sons servers. Katie inches closer to letting go. I still enjoy it for the most part but I don't have the fire in my belly I once had.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:12 PM

Scott Dunahee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Did it work?
Yes, Of course!

BSD