CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Color work from rods and batch glasses

Old 10-06-2019, 11:40 AM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
Neodymium effecting expansion?

So I was able to get a good price on some chemicals that Mr. Dudley Gibberson was interested in getting rid of recently. It was a pleasure getting to see his shop in the woods in NH and what he'd been doing there figuring out glass melting stuff since before almost anyone else in our studio glass movement. One of the things he parted ways with was a bunch of Neodymium. I haven't done any melts with this colorant yet, but I'd like to add some in with a phosphate mix I'll do tomorrow. After reading some of Weyl on this, and wanting a somewhat stronger effect from the Neo, I thought I'd go with a 4% addition. Weyl suspected that the "Alexandrite" glass produced by Moser in Czech. was a 4%, and upon looking at images online of their antique (and maybe still current?) products, I think that's a nice coloration. So question then is, since I don't see it listed on the two spreadhseets I have, will this have any significant effect on expansion, and if so, up or down? Just curious to know if I should plan on compensating in my mix. Thanks
Old 10-06-2019, 02:13 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I've gone as high as 2% with no ill effects but I suspect 4% is a stretch. I also think that the color may not really get that much more dense and Neodymium isn't cheap. A general rule is that it will lower the expansion, not raise it. That's the case with most oxides.

I had told Dudley to call you and it sounds like he did. I have no further interest in stocking my batch room. Did you get any of the Potassium hydroxide? That's useful. I got a big tub of arsenic from him some years back and a bunch of red lead. I still have it having not done any lead melts in the last year. I will likely make an enamel white before too long.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:50 PM

Yes, thanks Pete for letting him know that, he did call me after you two had spoke. Didn't grab the K hydroxide. Actually never heard of that form of potassium but did see it on Dudley's list and I shied away from that and any other potassium-containing things because I figured how long they've been sitting around and that they tend to absorb moisture and get clumpy. He did give me about 40 lbs. of Pb monosilicate he had left in a bucket. And about 10 lbs. of gold sands he'd made years ago by partially dissolving a South African Krugerand which I got to see the remains of. And then he charged me a reasonable price for that Nd and some Erbium and some Nickel.

I did just read in Volf one sentence in which he indicated that the Lanthanides (sp?) didn't mess with expansion much, but do lower viscosity, and that they might be similar in expansion to Zinc or Tin? I've heard of 2% on the Neo before, but wanted to push it up a bit to see if I could get a richer effect, even though I realize it's not a powerful colorant. And I got a good deal on the stuff so I figured why not, but it would indeed be a bit wasteful if it didn't fit my clear..
Old 10-06-2019, 03:45 PM
The Old Gaffer

well, I thought that I had gotten all the lead or you wouldn't have any.

Are you planning to case the neo in clear? If so, do a small melt using the basic 2% and add another 2% to that, melt it and try it. If you don't do that, mix a full load and try it and if it doesn't work out, mix that with some straight clear.

I've often felt that the Neo was also a fining agent that was really effective. That interior electron ring does some unpredictable stuff. That color maintains a clarity that I love.

The potassium hydroxide was well stored and seemed clean. It's really handy if you are making silver or copper bases and don't want the oxygen from the carbonate.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:00 PM
The Old Gaffer

Having had an afternoon with baseball on the couch something really did occur to me which is at 4% you may begin to run into a saturation issue. 4% added means something else is diminished. I don't know what your clear base would be but that implies that it's being reduced from either the modifiers, the stabilizers or the network former. You still need a balanced glass. Lead would help you "Pack" the neo in there but it needs to be balanced overall. I have to do that with the dense black or it just is too much.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:36 PM

It's a big-ish mix with the modified Brossphate base that I've been doing lately.
Just under 53 lbs. total, which includes the 2 lbs. of Neo. If I can't get all the colorant into solution, like you see if you did your dense black without Pb, then should I be able to tell that immediately with a test gather right after the first 5 lbs or so goes flat?