CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Color work from rods and batch glasses

Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
Neodymium ruby?

I'd like to do another neodymium phosphate try, did one last fall with 4% neo that I liked. But thought I'd see if I can get a slightly different look after reading a page from Volf's (Chemical Approach) in which he said something about a glass with 2-2.5% neo and 0.1% selenium can make a "fine neodymium ruby" shade. Any experience out there with this? I know a higher potash glass is necessary for selenium pink, and most of my alkali is sodium, but I do have about 1/4 of my alkali potassium. Is this worth a try, or is that little bit of Se just going to volatize on me?
Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I think Se strikes best if the potassium content is at lease 2% Josh. I certainly got nice peachy strikes in my old clear which I recall had about 16 lbs of sodium based stuff compared to about 6 lbs of potassium based stuff. I dn't tend to think the Se really volatilizes as much as many people think, it's just that it can be in five states of valence and only one shows color.

You could consider using zinc selenate as a source on the Se. Se, loves zinc. I have about 20 lbs of it if you want to try .Perhaps John C will kick in.

It seems to me that the downside there is these aren't casing glasses we're talking about so the product is pricey not cased in clear.
Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM

Thanks Pete, I do have at least some zinc oxide in this mix, maybe or maybe not enough to aid in coloration of the Se like you indicate. I thought the Se was volatilizing since you can smell it, but maybe that's just an odor and not the elemental selenium coming off the melt. If Volf is correct in those percentages, I'm not so worried about price of 0.1% Se, but the neo is a real killer of an expense for sure..

I'm inclined to try adding some to this next neo melt but I guess I'm just hoping it doesn't go 'brownish' with the addition of Se to a sodium-heavy mix, but it's not that much Se so maybe if it doesn't work it'll at least just look like regular neo coloration?
Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM
The Old Gaffer

what is the neo price per lb at this point. Eveline sent me selenium and I've had a fair amount of the Nd for some time.
Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM

$60/Lb. at US Pigment, just looked. I can't remember what price Dudley gave me, but I bought the 5 lbs. or so he had last fall. So is it any concern that only 0.1% selenium might discolor or brown up a soda-heavy phosphate glass? I'm hoping that if not then there's nothing to lose giving it a try at the ratio Volf suggests. I could do a small test melt if necessary but then it's just another day and more propane.
Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM
The Old Gaffer

Se pushes peach in a potassium rich environment.

$60? Ouch! I should just sell my supply shed. I have no idea where Se is.

Eveline never bills me. I don't know how she is. She was stuck in Hong Kong and unable to return to Shanghai without quarantine. Since she has condos in both cities and her mom is in Hong Kong she has stay there. The world is a real mess. I don't know if I'll ever see her again.