CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 10-10-2020, 01:23 PM

Chris Lowry is on a distinguished road
Cold equipment value

Im trying to figure out value for insurance purposes, does used cold equipment really have any value?

24 rociprolap
36 rociprolap
Steinert diamond grinder

How about color and hand tools?
Old 10-10-2020, 03:03 PM

Larry Cazes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lowry View Post
Im trying to figure out value for insurance purposes, does used cold equipment really have any value?

24 rociprolap
36 rociprolap
Steinert diamond grinder

How about color and hand tools?
Are you insured for replacement cost?
Old 10-10-2020, 03:33 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Reciprolaps would cost you $500 each if you could find them easily. A Steinert grinder, maybe $700. It's not that great a machine. Color has value if someone wants that color. Italian handtools are very popular with students. they think it makes them better glassworkers. They get money from the Bank of Dad. Other tools? look at the recent postings in Classified.
Old 10-10-2020, 05:52 PM

Chris Lowry is on a distinguished road
Im shipping a bunch of stuff and the shippers want a value. I said it was worth nothing if there is no buyer. And there are no buyers out there
Old 10-11-2020, 10:36 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Oh, the last time I looked, insurance companies for truckers paid .02 per pound on machinery that gets wrecked in trucking claims.

I do have to wonder how David Lindsay is doing trying to part out his tooling in the pandemic. To me, a reciprolap is worth nothing without a good tray. The trays can be trued maybe four times total before they are too thin to get in either a blanchard or chucked up in a large lathe. At that point, they can be run with a polishing pad only. I think new trays are around 1200 dollars from Covington or HIS glass which is a lot of money for something I used to buy for $200 dollars.

The Steinert grinder will last longer at least. No one seems really interested in polishing anymore. Grinding the base flat, yes, but not polishing. If you run any grit more coarse than a 27.5 micron in a reciprolap, it will wear it out in a heartbeat.
I do use diamond pads for 60 grit and it does save the big wheelhead from going out of true but then I run the 120 on SiC grit. I can keep a wheel from going out of true for ten years. My employees wrecked it in forty hours of operation. Being out of true more than .08 made polishing a nightmare . It's why I have so many wheelheads.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:10 PM

Nick Delmatto is on a distinguished road
Pete, I bought a used reciprolap & the pan seems to need work. Do I just take it to a machinist or are there other ways of truing it? Thanks.