CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 10-08-2020, 08:38 PM

Ron Mynatt is on a distinguished road
Philadelphia in Feb

So what is everyone planning for Feb.since they canceled Am Handcrafted.They mentioned summer as an alternative.I am going to put some new products on Indieme since I am getting orders from it.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:49 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
I met my wife in that show when it was BMAC. We always celebrate in Philly when we are there .. maybe we just go to Phuket anyway and have a little getaway.

As far as wholesale alternatives. I will probably just make some phone calls to my accounts.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:42 AM

Mark Rosenbaum is on a distinguished road
I don't see in-person shows until numbers decrease for COVID and/or a vaccine is approved. At this moment, maybe a year, but if people continue not believe that this virus is real, longer.
There will be a virtual show in February, but the learning curve for buyers is steep on that. I just did NY NOW virtual with not too much luck.
This is the time that I am thankful for a large email list. Hopefully more galleries will open for the holidays....
Old 10-09-2020, 11:43 AM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
I've got an "in person" opening today. Smaller venue, but I see those as the only viable ones for the time being. Hopefully have another couple mid November and first week of December.

Virtual is pretty much useless, most of my clientele couldn't manage to download an app, let alone navigate an online show. Would rather put the effort into buffing my own online retail.

I've been getting consignment and wholesale orders earlier than expected, they're saying traffic is generically down, but sales per person are up.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:53 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
If I look at the economy right now, it should be well on the way to dismal by Feb. All these state and local govts have to have balanced budgets and they will be in massive layoff mode, flat broke from virus fighting. All the service industries that are begging for help like the airlines will be laying off. 30 Million people will be getting evicted from their homes in the very near future and their landlords will not be able to pay their lenders either. This is all profoundly serious and it did not need to happen. An awful lot of people who know are saying "Depression".

Congress needs to be bailing out an awful lot of people and industries right now. Contesting the election will just make it worse. In 2016, 70,000 ballots were cast absentee. So far in 2020, try 4 million. I suspect the plan is moving to if Trump contests the vote, they'll move to get the cabinet to remove him under the 25th amendment. The GOP isn't supporting him at this point. He's really gone off the deep end. Gold Star families gave me Covid? Obama should be indicted and jailed? Its nuts and its super dangerous.

If there are shows, I'd be amazed.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:19 PM

Well there are shows, just not big ones at this point. They've extended the small pumpkin patch I do by a week, and I'm booked for a solo one day thing in December that has good potential. Time always tells, but I'm only trying to make what is likely to sell in the short term. Class enrollment is downish, but more robust that I would have anticipated.

The sentiment I see around me is that people are over it and just want to get on with life. It's been getting gradually worse in terms of infection around here, but no one seems to care that much anymore. People are wearing their masks, which was not the case when I visited KY, but it's going to take a morbidity hike to get them to be more cautious.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:00 PM
The Old Gaffer

Indeed, the path to 500 thousand dead is laid out. Now that everyone is moving back inside, it is indeed cranking up again. It was just a mere 850 dead a day.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:42 PM

That's kind of a numbers game. 500k is indeed quite a lot, but if that ends up being total morbidity that's .15% of the population, which isn't quite as sexy. People as a whole are have a tactile sense of the impact on their lives from government restrictions, much less so about what the actual virus is doing. It's the availability heuristic gone haywire.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:05 PM
The Old Gaffer

we'll go to wait and see mode. I'll wear the mask.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:13 PM

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
If I look at the economy right now, it should be well on the way to dismal by Feb. All these state and local govts have to have balanced budgets and they will be in massive layoff mode, flat broke from virus fighting. All the service industries that are begging for help like the airlines will be laying off. 30 Million people will be getting evicted from their homes in the very near future and their landlords will not be able to pay their lenders either. This is all profoundly serious and it did not need to happen. An awful lot of people who know are saying "Depression".
The way I've viewed the last four years is as a huge cash grab for the .1%. Those who understand the global economy have known for a while now that the US will not be top dog for much longer. Trump being the opportunist that he is simply saw a way in to tip the scales in his favor. The other powerful rich people have been all too happy to see him take the heat with his circus antics while they continue to reap the benefits. I don't care if Bezos owns the WP and supports people writing nasty things about Trump and his alleged pee tape and bad scalp reduction surgery. It all plays into the narrative.

No one here is looking at the long game. The powers that be keep focusing on either last month's numbers or how the stock market is doing today. There are already plenty of people that have been living in their cars for at least two months. Evictions have already happened, and will continue to. The big wave has yet to hit. The fact that the government throws a $1,200 check at a family for a month and thinks that will actually help just shows how out-of-touch and in denial we are all in about what the the majority of American's lives are really like.

Last edited by Greg Vriethoff; 10-10-2020 at 05:50 PM. Reason: trying to tone-down the negativity
Old 10-10-2020, 03:30 PM
The Old Gaffer

I think it to be my error in having started to look at the downside. Best to stop it here.
Old 10-10-2020, 05:22 PM

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
Guess I should have not let my negativity slide into another conversation. I'll stop trying to hijack another thread.

Last edited by Greg Vriethoff; 10-10-2020 at 05:23 PM. Reason: spelling