CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 09-29-2020, 10:33 AM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
Color price hike

Anybody else notice the price hike over at olympic? Some of the frit mixes have more than doubled in price.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:22 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
well, it is pumpkin season.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:30 PM

I've seen little fluctuations, but never 200%. I got it a month ago and now they're all jacked up by $20 or more. The gold pinks are creeping up, but they've always been painful to buy, and most everything else is what it's been the rest of the year. Guess I'll be waiting for another sale.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:01 PM
The Old Gaffer

well, what's the competition doing? I know Gaffer is shut down right now but how about Jim at East Bay or hot glass color? .

I am personally amused by these mixes being expensive since the hardest part about processing frit is keeping it pure. If you don't have to do that, you can really move a bunch of shit through the crusher.

Virtually all the frit comes from the bottom half of the melt. The top half makes rod. I ladle the lowers onto a marver, make pancakes of it and chuck it in a garbage can. When it's down to about 1200F it gets a quick shot of water so it will explode easily. Then we're off to the chipmunk. Noisy, have I mentioned it's noisy?
Old 09-29-2020, 09:50 PM

I thought Gaffer was back on line since a lot of colors were available again. Haven't investigated EB, HGC, or sprice in a while; only make 1 or 2 big orders a year and try to wait for a sale, none so far this year, and "overstock" hasn't been a thing for a while.

By comparison they weren't really that expensive, averaging mid $30's a kilo, $77 is quite a hike in a month. Willing to make my own, but at their price it was kind of a no brainer. By no means a signature color, but made an easy sale for the blue hairs.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:20 AM
The Old Gaffer

Making quality frit is a lot of work. You don't quench it in water, it's cooled and crushed, then cleaned, then sorted. Quenched, it's micro fractured and it shows.

Gaffer was closed due to the smoke in Portland.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:57 AM

Aaannnnddd...now the website's down.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:18 AM

I realize, have to make some of my own on occasion for fusing and it's a real PIA. I'm more surprised that the price difference from rod isn't more, but I imagine the higher qc needs come into play.

Didn't know about gaffer, nothing on their website indicating anything. There are only a few colors I get from them, and I'm stocked for now.

The pink price hike seems to be across the board, some are a bit more than others. HGC is the only other one with frit mixes, not that I care for them, but it doesn't seem like they've budged much.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:07 AM
The Old Gaffer

with my own rod, I make rod as follows: I make five sticks and then take a gather and blow it out really thin so I can see through it. If it is cord free with no bubbles, I repeat that process. Usually at about 20 sticks, based on the size of the pot used, it begins to deteriorate and I ladle the rest into pancakes on a marver, flip them and when rigid, they are put in a can up on end and allowed to cool to around 1100F or so and then they get a very quick shot of misty water. After some time, I punch them in the centers and they explode very nicely. Then cool, then to the chipmunk.

I don't really do much quality QC on the frit. It's focus is on grade size and cleanliness. There's plenty of time involved in both processes. I had always been under the impression, perhaps incorrectly that people had gotten so tired of having bubbles in their rod that wrecked the piece that they mostly went over to frit. In opaque rod with fluorine, you have a n extremely brief moment to see bubbles before it goes blind on you. We used to take random rod and run them through the diamond saw vertically but it's a blind faith kind of material.
I make some frit work that gets sandblasted and I want no transparency in it at all. it looks more like stone. Otherwise, I gather and blow when I'm making anything, which now is rather rare.

Cleaning the crusher is the big PIA.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:42 AM

Gaffer upped the standard for bubble less rod and even concentricity, but certain runs still had issues. I've seen some really funky bars from reichenbach and kugler, but they've gotten better over the years. I don't use rod a ton, and when I do I'm usually marbling it like taffy, so whatever bubbles are there will pale in comparison to what I introduce.

Some people are still diehards for rod, but to me the best advantage frit has is simply speed, for those with out a color pot. Then there is also the color puke aspect of frit mixes, which always seems to be the first ones to sell.

You could always try the Ronco Fritinator3000, comes with extra silicosis.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:07 PM
The Old Gaffer

I've seen frit in a garbage disposal but my favorite was mixing batch in a front loading dryer. That was vile. The really really good old days. The same shop had their gas lines in PVC on top of the ground in a backyard.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:41 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
I've seen frit in a garbage disposal but my favorite was mixing batch in a front loading dryer. That was vile. The really really good old days. The same shop had their gas lines in PVC on top of the ground in a backyard.
Nooo way!!

Are these people still making glass or are they in drug rehab?
Old 10-01-2020, 05:57 AM
The Old Gaffer

Off to that big casting oven in the sky.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:53 PM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
"I've seen frit in a garbage disposal but my favorite was mixing batch in a front loading dryer. That was vile. The really really good old days. The same shop had their gas lines in PVC on top of the ground in a backyard." One squirrel and you are in orbit. I know someone that had a cabin and the driveway had above ground rubber boxes for telephone wires. The bears thought those were chew toys along with the ATV trailer tires. If they did lines above ground they wouldn't last a month.