CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 02-21-2020, 05:46 AM

Joseph Schembri is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys

Hey guys first of all I would like to thank you for all the information and advice that you posted. I just tested my first gloryhole build. I built the square design. It went up to 2250 in half an hour, I reduced the propane and went down to a stable 2100 for the next hour.burner never went up more than 120. I used a kg of propane for one hour (about 130 pence) . It is smoking a bit around the burner, could it be because the door is a bit tight I only have a couple of.mm between the door and face. Although I've got more than 30 years experience in glass it was mostly working cold and a little bit of fusing and slumping. I decided that I want to start blowing, and me doing everything backwards wanted to build my equipment first. Haha studio built, glory hole ready wire melter nearly done and soon to start annealer.
When I get everything ready will get a few lessons and start practicing. Lessons in the uk cost a lot about 250 british pounds a day. That's why I wanted my own equipment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hole.jpg (82.4 KB, 63 views)
Old 02-21-2020, 06:59 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
2150F is really cold for getting a gloryhole to do what it needs to do. You won't be able to shape effectively unless it's hotter.

The furnace can be 2150, not the glory hole.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:32 AM

It reached 2250 in about 30 min and I reduced the propane. I'll try it tomorrow and see how high it would go full blast.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:51 AM
The Old Gaffer

Does it have forced air? It really should. The type door you have is just like mine and while it works pretty well when mostly closed, it cools off really quickly when opened more than half. I like it but my work no longer relies on a that late heat. Heat has to be thought of as a lubricant.

The best glassworker over there is in Northern Ireland but he doesn't teach.
Do yourself a favor and cover the castable on the door and anywhere that doesn't get abraded with an inch of fiber. Then rigidize that. It will substantially help performance. Or if you prefer White board. Don't ever cover the steel.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:01 AM
The Old Gaffer

If the door had a bit of a redesign making for a railing at the top for a grooved wheel to track in it, then that steel up there would be recessed from the front plate casting. That's true at the bottom as well. That would allow you to better insulate above and below the door. It adds up. Currently the central posts at the top and bottom won't allow for insulation. It may make a fifty degree difference it temperature. That's a lot.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:04 AM

Yes it does, I'm using a pine ridge burner. I'll cover the door and castable with fibre and see what happens. How hot should the hole be, a lot of guys say the hotter the better.....but what would your recommended temp be?
Old 02-21-2020, 08:08 AM

Not a problem I'll redesign the door