CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 08-07-2019, 02:09 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
It could be the same formula as SP87. Charlie was certainly trying to get that formula , contacted me for it and I would not give it up given the intellectual property issues. He just wrote to me and indicated that the glass had been used in casting and showed no signs of devit so it would be a distinctly differing formula than the original SP87.

However, the Bomma test I did uses my clear which was engineered to sit on top of SP87 and it did not show the slightest strain either which is the same way SP87 and my clear indicate.

I will be interested in seeing how the 2.0, another clone of Sp87 does against the Bomma in regards to cane. I suspect it will be just fine and it would be welcome to have a cullet that can conform to a straightforward standard of being a simply 96 with a similar viscosity curve.

It is a cautionary tale about saving cane for long periods and expecting no issues. It does seem around here that too frequently if I use an old colored cullet without testing and match it to another melt that I have irritating expansion issues. Testing every melt continues to be a good idea.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:21 AM

neil duman is on a distinguished road
curious if ...Bomma cullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Everette View Post
Janecky is probably one of the main people I'd trust for high praise of quality and workability. Might go to others in terms of what it's doing to your furnace. The verdict should be out fairly soon, should be stateside by now, but don't know who'll get it first. My order should be in around June, but I won't be really melting it til August or September.
Was curious if you have started melting the Bomma cullet.

We are getting ready to order some more glass and thinking of making the switch. Haven't spoken to anyone yet that has used it in full production, beyond a test run.

Any info you can share would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Neil
Old 08-10-2019, 10:37 AM
The Old Gaffer

I can excerpt this from an email Charlie Parriot sent me two days back:

"In Seattle, Chihuly, Preston Singletary,
Dante Marioni, Ben Moore, Rob Adamson, and Katrina Hude, are melting or will be melting Bomma when they light up again in the end of August.
Other institutions are testing out melts and will report back.
Several lighting companies have switched over to the Bomma Cullet"...

" So far, one table top maker in Seattle says itís beautiful and it does not devitrify."

Based on the tests done by John Croucher and I, there's simply no reason to have any suspicions about working characteristics of the Bomma. As John wryly said, "It's so close as to make you think it's the same formula" Strain would have showed up indicating difficult features with the glass had they existed. It is clear to me that the Bomma is a dead on 96 with reasonable luster. It would be superior in every way to any existing cullets now on the market.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:28 AM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
Sorry Neil, I've only done some small compatibility samples against the System Studio that we're currently melting. No bueno, but that was to be expected. I'm working with my partner to see if she has any Spruce 87 or Cristalica cane left to test against, but we've been though so many glasses it's hard to tell whats what anymore. Looks like others will get to full beta before me.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:24 AM

David Patchen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Everette View Post
Sorry Neil, I've only done some small compatibility samples against the System Studio that we're currently melting. No bueno, but that was to be expected.
To clarify--did you use Spectrum 2.0 cane and gathered over it with bomma?
Old 08-12-2019, 10:54 AM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
Nope. Pot of System Studio Nuggets, measured 94, compatible with the sheet glass. That went over a kilned pickup of a Bomma disk. That rodeo and images are already in somewhere in this web of threads.

I plan on trying a pickup of Bomma and some old crysitalica or premium 2.0 cane if can ever figure out the mess of bundles that went unused.

My semester doesn't start til the end of the month, so I'm probably looking at November before I'm really cooking any.

On aside, the distribution of Bomma seems to be growing, Olympics announced more locations, and Easy Bay says they'll have it soon. Not trying to project any real optimism yet, Pete.

Last edited by Shawn Everette; 08-12-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:33 PM
The Old Gaffer

given Phil's enthusiasm for crushing any competition I suspect it will not be available at Spruce Pine but everyone else will have it. I'm still waiting for that little engine that could to make some noise.

But, it appears to be sound and quite available. I think the trick remains as to whether it can be made and shipped at enough of a profit to make it worth doing. It's worth noting that so far, every cullet venture out there has failed.