CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 07-29-2019, 01:43 PM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
Morocast 95 from Missouri Refractory company?

I've been putting off this patch-job on the lower part of the retaining ring of my smaller GH, but finally need to address it. I used to use Greencast 94 a lot and used to like that, even for patches, but since then I've seen the Greencast not age well in that and other applications. However, in some instances it looks brand new still. But I don't want to use that again, and I remember reading recommendations here for the Morocast 95 (Morco 95?) product. Just wanted to check here first before ordering some that it would be a good product for doing patch work. More specifically, I need it to stick to existing Greencast (with a layer of mortar in between I suppose) and have the ability for me to 'sculpt' it a bit, staying put and not succumbing to gravity. So hoping it's not too wet of a product on other words..

Thanks in adv
Old 07-29-2019, 02:03 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I just used it to patch my front plate on the pot furnace. The bag was a year old and it worked fine. I keep it under the hood. It is a fast setting 95% alumina castable with mixed grain size. It adhered to kastolite30 just fine. I mortared over it and closed the puppy up. In general, it was one of those rebuilds that started out ugly and ended that way.. but it's at 2400F right now. If you squint, it looks good. I used a few thin slats of wood clamped to the plate to get it to stay put for an hour.

If you want to avoid the shipping bill, you can come over and get some. Eric Truleson will be here from wed- tuesday this week while MB and I go to a wedding. I have a fair amount of it.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:21 PM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
Thanks Pete, I'd love to take you up on that offer to come by but it's a 3.5 hr drive and I've been doing a few road trips lately so kinda burnt out on longer drives right now. Good to hear that it still worked a year out, since I'm definitely gonna have a lot of leftover from the 50 lb. bag after this smaller patch-job.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:56 PM
The Old Gaffer

I think Nathan MacComber had some left over from a bag he got from me and he's coming to Sunapee.
Call him?
Old 07-30-2019, 10:58 AM

Sky Campbell is on a distinguished road
For what itís worth I found ramable plastics that work for something like this to be a lot easier with little to no down time. I have a spot on the small glory where a pipe turner sits that constantly gets atacked by glass. The kastolite all around the ramable material is gone but the patch looks like the day it went in.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:11 PM
The Old Gaffer

I use rammable clay for floors in furnaces where I expect junk glass to lie around. I think that Sky's approach is a good one but I have one problem with the stuff in small quantities- getting small quantities.

The stuff invariably dried up when I tried to store it and reconstituting it, while possible is like watching paint dry. At least it's cheap but still has weight and costs to ship.
A few years back Mark was looking for a replacement clay for Mono-T-9 which was a mine run in Missouri and ultimately the run gave out. No more Mon T 9. So Mark as he always does started to try getting Missouri Refractory to find a comparable clay and much time passed but eventually they shipped him what they could only say was the closest thing they had ever seen to the original. At this point, I'm pretty sure Tom sells it at HighTemp in Fenton.

This last patch on the front plate with the Morco 95 went easy and is happily at 2300F right now. It is pricey though so that if you can scrounge out of someone else's bag, it's a smart move. Morco 95 is the single best product for furnaces next to Kast-o-lite 30 that I've run into.

Tom will also sell you Calcium aluminate cement if your existing old bags have E.D. It doesn't take a lot.