CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 07-01-2019, 09:55 PM

Sam Schumacher is on a distinguished road
Connecting New Paragon Kiln to Digitry

Hi all, I work part time for The Crucible in Oakland, and our hot shop just got a grant for a brand new paragon kiln (GL24AD) and are trying to connect it to our Digitry GB5. It's wired up for Paragon's standard Sentry controller, but I am trying to connect it to our existing GB5 sending unit. Anyone have any tips on this? I can't find anything from Digitry or Paragon. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2019, 08:10 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
The gb4 has outputs for opening and closing a relay to fire the elements that are low voltage and smaller connection outputs for the sending unit. Use 2 wire thermostat wire for the sending unit. Mount the sending unit pretty close to the kiln on the wall. I donít know what kind of thermocouple you have but I would use a k thermocouple with two connection points on the end of it and wire that to the sending unit.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:23 AM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
The gb relay unit should be able to handle 120v, but little in the way of amps, of which your relay coil shouldn't need much for its 12v. There is a built in fuse, so if it's not working start there.

The paragon controller handles both the hot and neutral sides of the relays, but the gb is only going to handle one. Somehow you are going to need to provide 12v to the relays, one side will be direct to the coil the other through the gb.

I've attached the wiring diagram from paragon. You'll bypass the controller completely, but may want to use the transformer for your 12v. It looks like a stepped transformer, so you'll have to see which line gives you your desired output(thinking blue). Otherwise you can cut it out too and supply your own.

A word of caution if you are going hot; sometimes the sending units get confused by "noise" if you're going above 1200, and will latch on because they think they are losing temp. Not a common thing, but keep an eye one it when it's first sent up.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WGL24AD.PDF (48.5 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Shawn Everette; 07-02-2019 at 09:45 AM. Reason: attachment