CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 07-06-2019, 05:43 PM

Lawrence Duckworth is on a distinguished road
Chihuly Etching?

Anyone here know if Dale Chihuly taught at Pilchuck in 1970-1973? And if so, was he known back then to collaborate with his students in stained glass or glass etchings?

I know this is a long shot but thought Iíd try...
Old 07-06-2019, 07:26 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
the two shops were distinctly different Lawrence but he was indeed one of the movers in that time period. It was his show. He did engage with specific students between the two facilities mostly grad students from RISD. . richard Harned did a well remembered piece called "Pressure" which involved squished mice in plate glass. Anyone else recall that spiffy thing?
Old 07-07-2019, 08:23 AM

I was thinking the groups at that time might have been small enough to remember names of fellow student...and a chance there might be one or two here on this board that actually knew Chihuly and the school first hand. Iím Trying to find more on Janice Houghton. She was an early student/artist, she might have worked with him even before 71...dunno

Janice Houghton?? Anyone
Old 07-07-2019, 08:55 AM

This is the glass etching Janice and Chihuly worked together on..anyone recognize it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CE511DF5-0866-4FCD-910F-2D6958DA4BD0.jpg (66.6 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Lawrence Duckworth; 07-07-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:07 AM
The Old Gaffer

I can only say that Dale, who I did know in those early years did not have a lot of patience for extended detail work. It's what pulled him away from Graal later on. The name you reference is not familiar to me at all. You might go see if RISD has any reference to her since just about everyone came to Pilchuck through that door or one close to it in that period. Dale was a weaver prior to his exposure to molten glass and he incorporated shards into fabrics without shaking any artistic temples. He was second wave out of Madison around '65.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:54 AM

Rich Samuel is on a distinguished road
If she is/was related to the Corning Houghtons, CMOG might be helpful. You might even get some info from Chihuly, Inc.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:03 PM

Good ideas. I kinda figured you were in the mix back then Pete. Like I say though she might have been involved somehow even before the first summer camp. Iíll keep snooping around . Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:08 PM
The Old Gaffer

keep in mind that Dale was teaching at RISD all through that period and did not quit his job there until 1975-76. He did try to get students to go to Pilchuck as it badly needed the tuitions. He had always said he would leave the school when his sales were greater than his salary. Keep also in mind that salary at that time was 17K per year. The blanket cylinder sales put him over the top with astonishing prices like $700.00 each, almost unheard of at the time until Peiser pushed it all through the roof with the Wisteria sale at Heller. Mark just didn't want to sell the piece.
Then. as Fritz said, "Money changed everything".

So, your contact may well have been a student there. The piece you have there does not look like a Chihuly collaboration to me. Those guys were enamored with RISD rings and hard cornered blown ware by that time. Think cylinders
Old 07-09-2019, 11:37 AM

Warren Trefz is on a distinguished road
Was a student of Richard Harned and worked for him. His story on Dale at RISD was that he was never there to the point they copied his faculty parking sticker and used his parking space at the shop. Though in all the years, I never heard or saw an image of the "Pressure" piece. Would love to see one if someone has an image. Never heard the whole story on Richard almost burning down Pilchuck either, anyone?!
Old 07-09-2019, 01:02 PM
The Old Gaffer

I walked by the "pressure Piece" daily. The number of people who almost burned down Pilchuck is Legion.

Being kind, Dale was not the best teacher. Getting rid of Jaime (James) Carpenter was his really unforgivable move. I loved it when he got the MacArthur Genius award.