CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Color work from rods and batch glasses

Old 10-01-2019, 09:38 PM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
Any differences in Silica sources?

So my closest ceramic supply I get stuff from sometimes, which is still 2 hrs drive away (I live up in the woods..), used to stock the 200 mesh silica from Short Mountain Silica Co. That's from Tennessee I believe. But they only stock the silica from Sil-Co-Sil brand now. I'm not making clear glasses currently, just colors, so that said, should I care at all which one I use? The Short Mountain did seem to be quite clear and iron-free which I saw before the phosphate I made got a chance to strike any. I've also never tested the moisture content of the sand I've used. I've just either been lucky or it's been consistent bag to bag with the Short Mountain stuff, so I guess just thinking out loud and wondering if that can vary from source to source?
thanks
Old 10-02-2019, 07:35 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bernbaum View Post
So my closest ceramic supply I get stuff from sometimes, which is still 2 hrs drive away (I live up in the woods..), used to stock the 200 mesh silica from Short Mountain Silica Co. That's from Tennessee I believe. But they only stock the silica from Sil-Co-Sil brand now. I'm not making clear glasses currently, just colors, so that said, should I care at all which one I use? The Short Mountain did seem to be quite clear and iron-free which I saw before the phosphate I made got a chance to strike any. I've also never tested the moisture content of the sand I've used. I've just either been lucky or it's been consistent bag to bag with the Short Mountain stuff, so I guess just thinking out loud and wondering if that can vary from source to source?
thanks
It sure can.
Spruce pine found a new silica source that ya vastly improved the clarity of their glass. What ever they were using before would always yield greenish tints on thick work. The new glass is water clear.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:04 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Sil-co-sil will be fine for colors. You simply never see it. I do have my clear formula mied by Spruce Pine now, given the exceptional quality of the silica processing there. I do use, or at least I have used short Mt for my glass for the last ten years and what you are saying is sort of ominous. My supplier for small quantities is in Portland Maine and now I'm concerned about the supply. I was going to buy another 300 lbs of it or so to go through this winter.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:00 PM

Thanks, I talked to someone at Short Mtn. company and they do still seem to be in business but for whatever reason aren't distributing to the northeast now. I asked if I could order direct from them and he said unfortunately they have a minimum order of 50-some bags. He didn't seem to budge any on that for the measly 400 lbs. I'm after. But he did recommend calling Laguna in Ohio, and I have a call out with them now to see if they can ship just 8 bags or so. But if not I'll just go with what's available, thanks for the input.

Josh
Old 10-03-2019, 05:55 PM

Tom Fuhrman is on a distinguished road
I've been to the Short Mountain operation and it is huge and highly automated. They automatically fill their bags and stack them on a pallet of 50 and then they are automatically shrink wrapped. It would be very difficult for them to do less than a pallet unless you went there and picked up some odd bags that were misplaced.
When I was there many years ago, they were shipping 35+ huge dump truck loads a day just to one float glass factory, not to mention what they send to athletic fields and golf courses that are redoing their fields for drainage, etc.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:56 PM

Rollin Karg is on a distinguished road
A friend gave this to me last year. Consolidation has really changed this business.

Typical Levels of Iron in Commercially Available Sand
Wt % Fe2O3

Unimin (now Covia)

Oregon, IL. Glassil. 0.020 - 0.025
Camden, TN Glassil 0.010 - 0.01
Junction City, GA. Glassil. 0.010 - 0.020

Junction City, GA. Puresil. 0.005 - 0.010

U.S. Silica

Columbia, TN. 0.020 - 0.025
Ottawa, IL. 0.015 - 0.020
Milllcreek, OK. 0.025 - 0.030
Old 10-08-2019, 07:30 PM

Pete,
I just drove over to Vermont Ceramic Supply Co. over in Rutland today. It wasn't close (1:45 drive) but none of them are close to me in this neck of the woods. But they did have the 200 mesh Short Mountain silica! They're the only ones of the 3 places I called who had it. I grabbed 12 bags which should last me a while. And they said they can ship bags to you on a pallet. They're number is 802-775-4540 if you're interested in ordering.