CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 01-05-2019, 12:35 PM

Nate Steinbrink is on a distinguished road
Blower needed for large glory hole

I am searching for a blower that will generate around 20 Water column inches of pressure for a large glory hole. I have a 12 inch insulated box to fit it in.

Does anyone have any good recommendations of a blower model to search for?

I spent around $600 for a blower to run my other glory hole and need to get this second glory hole running with something more affordable? Maybe an impossible task at my price point?
Old 01-05-2019, 01:49 PM

John Riepma is on a distinguished road
I think that if the 12" box is the only location available you're going to be limited to one of the small brushless DC blowers like I have. Here's the Grainger part number for the ones that I have on both my glory holes:
https://www.grainger.com/product/NOR...rchQuery=1MCG6

And I can see that they've become spectacularly more expensive since I bought mine - almost double, and I thought that the were really expensive 8 years ago. Perhaps Jordan or someone else on the board has another alternative. Also, I don't know if these will reach 20" water column but they may.

If you have the option of mounting the blower more remotely I can suggest a regen blower like the one that I used before we had to move the studio. We had (and still have) and Ametek Rotron regen blower that we mounted in a small "doghouse" style enclosure outside the studio. Something like this:

https://www.grainger.com/category/re...nalytics=nsNav

We did not have the option of outside mounting at the new location and didn't want it inside because of the noise, which was not a problem with the outside mounting since we plumbed the air into the studio via 3" PVC. There was plenty of pressure and volume and we used a relief valve to spill off the excess and butterfly valves to turn town the pressure at the device. I'm sure that we could have used the excess instead of cooling fans since there was plenty.

Before anyone piles the wet blanket on and mentions the noise that these make - all true. That's why I think that this is only an option if used with outside mounting or for deaf people. When plumbed through the PVC it was actually quieter than what we're using now.

Hope that this helps. I'm not sure that there are too many squirrel-cage type blowers out there that will generate 20" water column but I may be mistaken. We started out with the Dayton blower that's been recommended elsewhere here on the board and that was the loudest of all and quickly went up on EBAY. As I mentioned earlier there are other people on the board with more equipment building experience so they may chime in with the perfect $250 solution and I can kick myself for buying those brushless DC blowers that I'm using.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:34 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I have a big paddle type blower from graingers I would sell that will make those W.C. Around a 10" paddle. Loud...Did I mention Loud?

Pete V.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:17 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Im running a 18 and a 12 gloryhole on a pabst trinity blower I bought from Charlie Correll. I mounted it inside a 18x18x8 metal electrical junction box and Im about to sound proof it. It works great.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:22 PM

Nate Steinbrink is on a distinguished road
thanks

Great info, the grainger blower suggested would be a great fit but high on the budget, a trinity blower seems to be the winner so far, we are in a tight public location so don't have a spot for a large outside blower.

The paddle blower sounds good Pete but noise and space is definitely a factor, I have a trinity blower on the other glory hole and in its insulated box it is not too bad on noise.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:58 PM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
I have one of those blowers I would sell you for $300. The potential downside is it takes 240v input power(potential downside, get it?....). Not a big deal if you can pull it from somewhere. It would only need a 16 gauge wire. The rest of the control is the same.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:21 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Steinbrink View Post
Great info, the grainger blower suggested would be a great fit but high on the budget, a trinity blower seems to be the winner so far, we are in a tight public location so don't have a spot for a large outside blower.

The paddle blower sounds good Pete but noise and space is definitely a factor, I have a trinity blower on the other glory hole and in its insulated box it is not too bad on noise.
If you wanted to go crazy, you could get the trinity, a digitry Vanessa controller, a s thermocouple and proportionating valve and make your gloryhole able to run on a set point. The trinity is a variable speed blower.

I chose to run it full bore only and use a gate valve on the air lines.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:41 AM

Bob Meyer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Riepma View Post
I think that if the 12" box is the only location available you're going to be limited to one of the small brushless DC blowers like I have. Here's the Grainger part number for the ones that I have on both my glory holes:
https://www.grainger.com/product/NOR...rchQuery=1MCG6

And I can see that they've become spectacularly more expensive since I bought mine - almost double, and I thought that the were really expensive 8 years ago. Perhaps Jordan or someone else on the board has another alternative. Also, I don't know if these will reach 20" water column but they may.
Just thought I'd mention - I followed that link to Grainger. Some browser add-on brought up the same item on Amazon, but for $247.12 with free shipping. I had my doubts that it could be the same thing, but ordered one - it really is in new condition, works, and matches the model # in Grainger. The specs state that it generates 24" wc. I have to wonder if I'm missing something.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:34 PM
AbbyNormal User

Scott Novota is on a distinguished road
Maybe it is old new stock. Just moving the stuff...maybe?