CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 04:46 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
This, if stripped away is the same old conversation about "Art, Vs Craft". It's been going on for time immemorial. It's important so it can exclude people.

If you looked at the glass houses in "The glass gaffers of New Jersey "

( Adelle Pepper), you won't find any of that work extolled as art. It was instead a remarkable view into the migratory moves of glasshouse as they struggled with being allowed to do what they did given the pressure from the English Govt.

From my view, some incredible from the heart glass made by people who loved the material. Cap Wistar was probably the only one who had a longer term vision than " "Make what you Love".

Go do it. Not since "the Portland Vase" has the dichotomy been so clear.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:42 PM
PotatoFish

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
I'm "deleting" my post here because it was not helpful, and/or kind.

Apologies for being so critical.

Last edited by Greg Vriethoff; 01-19-2019 at 01:34 PM. Reason: argumentative/negative
Old 01-20-2019, 11:41 AM

Franklin Sankar is on a distinguished road
Since they can now make a face that does not exist in real life ,by using AI to model the face.
I donít know what to make of this? The skill of the artist no longer count for good art.
Franklin
Old 01-20-2019, 01:04 PM
The Old Gaffer

Oh, I don't know . Picasso could make faces that didn't exist in real life. He seemed to get by.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:58 PM

Larry Cazes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Sankar View Post
Since they can now make a face that does not exist in real life ,by using AI to model the face.
I donít know what to make of this? The skill of the artist no longer count for good art.
Franklin
I guess its all in your point of view. I must say though that I think thats untrue. In my opinion an artist is first a designer, creator, and visionary. Technique has always been cheap.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:42 AM

Franklin Sankar is on a distinguished road
I agree design comes first but if you canít Make the object into a tangible piece
are you saying itís ok to get someone to make it for you.? I always thought that if you canít make it then crapaud smoke you pipe.
Franklin
Old 01-22-2019, 08:54 AM
The Old Gaffer

I actually think technique is really expensive. Franklin simply brings up the same old raging argument.

I love the term that artists use when they lack certain skills.

"Would you facilitate my project?"
Old 01-22-2019, 09:27 AM

Tom Fuhrman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
I actually think technique is really expensive. Franklin simply brings up the same old raging argument.

I love the term that artists use when they lack certain skills.

"Would you facilitate my project?"
I've on occasion had to have others assist me in the construction of some rather large public art projects. Handling heavy items and having to invest 1000's of $ on a piece of equipment that will only be used for one project was not something I could handle so I had "facilitators".
Dale, Harvey, Nick and many others owed a lot to others who gave them the where with all to accomplish what they did. In addition, I know of very few sculptors who have made their own castings and large scale constructions.
You are right though, technique is not always cheap.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:02 AM
The Old Gaffer

I totally appreciate the things you refer to . That being said, the initial impact of the '62 studio movement was a simple notion thought to be a major breakthrough at the time:

The actual artist could design and execute a piece without having to turn it over to someone else to make.

That was a gut revolutionary step in 1962. Now I will freely grant you that it didn't take long before an assistant was needed. That made concepts easier to carry out. Then it evolved into teams which in fact was where the whole Toledo revolution was attempting to get away from. Harvey Leafgreen was actually critical to the success of the conference. The conference had not thought to consider that the West Virginia Glasshouses could actually be helpful in getting the ball rolling and the movement had to endure JM marbles for quite a while when W.Va could have had them off in the right direction immediately. But as Fritz said "Money changed Everything".

These days, facilitation has evolved to where the artist doesn't touch the piece at all. That I can do without. I still like to work alone. Shanghai was interesting for me in that I had a factory with forty workers doing what I wanted. I was way more basic. I wanted to make glass bodies that I thought people would buy, as in colored glass. I don't think that remained a focus very long since clear is easier and we were much focused on lighting. I certainly haven't been asked to do any design work in some time.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:28 PM

Max Epstein is on a distinguished road
I know I am a little late to the game here, but...

AI can, and already has killed the artist. We are in the middle of the second technological revolution with AI, machine learning, and quantum computing. A significant portion of the workforce will be replaced by intelligent computers. It won't be long before we have the computing power to *really* start to solve problems and be able to accurately model our entire climate, nuclear reactions, and solve issues like cancer and HIV.

The differences between the virtual world (and art) and reality will become nearly indistinguishable. "Deepfake" technology is already readily available, and reportedly used by the Russians to create "dozens" of fake Donald Trump sex tapes, in order to cover up for the (reported) real one with (reported) underage girls. Look for this type of disinformation warfare in our politics and the world (as long as our country does nothing to counter it).

This was created by off the shelf software -- imagine what a nation-state like the US can do. There is no doubt in my mind that the US military already has a quantum supercomputer capable of doing just about anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1jng79a5xc

(And a little humor here too):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws5O9WASoHg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cazes View Post
AI and 3D printing are only just extensions and enablers of the human mind, condition, and personal expression. It won't kill these things but just may enable us to push the art form further than before.
You are totally right. The best will use it to their advantage. Artists have been using the latest technology for eons. But it will eliminate many, and destroy many of the old-world knowledge.

My girlfriend's high school students don't know how to use rulers or scissors, but can do anything on a phone.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:39 PM
The Old Gaffer

Artists will always have to find a person to support their madness. It may be pumpkin madness and it may be something more substantial. AI won't change that at all. AI may make people who consider that bigger is better is the thing to buy. The question there is whether bigger means better or if it is just another form of " A lot of flash for not much cash." as one of my big former galleries said.

I've done my best work recently in years. There were only about ten pieces. In this format, they don't matter a bit. As an artist now? I support myself. Stupid that way. I'm going to make more.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:43 PM

Larry Cazes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Epstein View Post
I know I am a little late to the game here, but...

AI can, and already has killed the artist. We are in the middle of the second technological revolution with AI, machine learning, and quantum computing. A significant portion of the workforce will be replaced by intelligent computers. It won't be long before we have the computing power to *really* start to solve problems and be able to accurately model our entire climate, nuclear reactions, and solve issues like cancer and HIV.

The differences between the virtual world (and art) and reality will become nearly indistinguishable. "Deepfake" technology is already readily available, and reportedly used by the Russians to create "dozens" of fake Donald Trump sex tapes, in order to cover up for the (reported) real one with (reported) underage girls. Look for this type of disinformation warfare in our politics and the world (as long as our country does nothing to counter it).

This was created by off the shelf software -- imagine what a nation-state like the US can do. There is no doubt in my mind that the US military already has a quantum supercomputer capable of doing just about anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1jng79a5xc

(And a little humor here too):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws5O9WASoHg

You are totally right. The best will use it to their advantage. Artists have been using the latest technology for eons. But it will eliminate many, and destroy many of the old-world knowledge.

My girlfriend's high school students don't know how to use rulers or scissors, but can do anything on a phone.
Yes but I dont think technology is solely to blame! At my high school over my 4 years I saw the art program and shop classes starved. We definitely have a crisis occurring in our public schools right now. The demand for skilled craftsmen is extremely high right now so I suspect those old world skills will come back into vogue for the next generation.