CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 01-17-2019, 01:53 PM

Fredi Vilina is on a distinguished road
maybe a dumb question (asking for a friend)

I've done a search here looking for compatability issues with SP batch and System 96 sheet glass and I haven't had much luck. I've read that when melted SP has a 96-97 coe (off their website) and if system 96 sheet glass has a 96 coe shouldn't they be a close fit. (Sorry Pete if I am making you cringe.) Should I do a ring test by fusing a block of sheet glass then picking it up then encasing in the SP clear, blowing, annealing cutting the ring then scoring? I've read different resuts from people. There was a guy named MIke McCain who commented here that he was going to do the same thing but I can't find a way to contact him to see how things have held up. If anybody has any experience with compatability with SP batch and System 96 sheet glass I would aprreciate hearing about it.

thanks
fredi
Old 01-17-2019, 02:48 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
my best info on sys96 came through J, Croucher and my tests of the expansion and it was a 94.1, significantly lower than a 96. My experience with Sp87 has always been that it is a high 95, as in 95.9 or so. It does vary slightly from melt to melt based on those melt conditions

That being said, the two glasses seem to frequently hold together at least for some people.

For Mary beth's jewelry tests, we fuse the two glasses in question side to side and then put them in a sandwich of the host clear. That goes into a polarizing screen and shows strain if it exists. Much of the time, we'll see an actual crack in the sample which is about 8 inches long for our test purposes. Those tests are rarely combining glasses that we did not make ourselves.

Looking around at various threads over the decades, there's a lot of different numbers thrown around. I have never seen SP87 as high as your reference. It really has been remarkably stable over time. So has SYs96.

Based on what I know, I wouldn't use both in the same piece.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:00 PM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
I've had success with the system 96 colors and SP in the past. A while back, I was doing some pieces where I was rolling up pre-fused tiles of the Sys. 96 sheet glasses, making a cup out of that, and then stuffing with the SP I melt here to make a piece that had the pattern on the exterior. Also tried a couple where the Sys. 96 was on the very inside, then cased with SP. Never tried sawing them afterward, so maybe not a true test, but they worked for my purposes with those pieces, including surviving sandblasting. Interestingly enough, when I did a demo at Worcester Craft Center in MA in 2014, I thought I'd try one of those pieces for the demo piece since they were melting the Sys. 96 clear there. That piece survived annealing but I saw telltale compatibility cracks a couple weeks later. Annealing may have been a factor, that was out of my control in that instance, but it was interesting to me that, all else being equal, my results seemed to show the Sys. 96 product not fitting the other Sys. 96 product. Maybe no surprise considering all I'd heard here regarding their cullet debacles a couple years ago. Not sure which of the three (or four?) iterations of their cullet that clear would have been. Ring tests never a bad idea..
Old 01-24-2019, 02:47 AM

David Patchen is on a distinguished road
You just have to try it.

I've had solid results with Sys96 rods (made by Uroboros) and SP and Spectrum 2.0 Nuggets. No fit problems at all.

Of course your mileage may vary so your answer lies in testing.