CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 02-04-2019, 06:14 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
viewership

So, in my software, I can see what everyone is looking at as a thread at any given time. I found it notable that in the first 100 viewers, both guest and member that only one was looking at the thread on chrome devit in a color rod.

For me that's really instructive.

We've had a high of over 6,600K in people on Craftweb at any given time. I find that remarkable.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:24 AM

Victor Chiarizia is on a distinguished road
im a gleaner in the am as you would know. v
BTW i sell more cheese than glass now. but with the house done im going back to sculpture work this year
Old 02-05-2019, 10:24 AM

Mark Rosenbaum is on a distinguished road
OK, so I will be that guy.... this board has been a TREMENDOUS asset to the glass community. The amount of knowledge that is freely shared here is unprecedented.
Pete, I know that glass chemistry and formulations are your favorite topics. Unfortunately, they are not mine. I know that you always say that making your own glass is a world apart from buying ready-made cullet or batch. I respect that, but I just do not have the time, energy, or space to do it. I feel that some of us in the same boat tread lightly when the subject comes up. Dumbing it down to "I just want to blow glass" is the extreme, but I did not get into this business, and for me, it is a business, to become a chemist. I am an artist who set up a fairly successful business to sell my artwork.
I look at pretty much every thread that is posted here. Some I continue to watch, others like the one you questioned, become too much for me to understand or comprehend so I ignore them. Maybe there are more people in this group that do not share your love for the chemistry involved in formulating glasses..... but there certainly has to be more than one who is...
Again, thanks for all that you do, and Katie too! This is an extremely valuable resource for ALL glassworkers and I would not be were I am today without you and the contributors to this board!
Old 02-05-2019, 10:32 AM
The Old Gaffer

That wasn't quite what I was thinking on. I was considering getting rid of the color board and putting up something else that people would like to see.

Like Vic, I no longer make my living from blowing glass which is a good thing since I don't have the kind of energy that it takes anymore. Color and chemistry still renew me constantly.

I probably should have been clearer about the chrome. Cr3 makes a reasonably safe color. Cr6 is a quite different color and is the toxic stuff of Erin Brockovich. The application is whether it is reducing or oxidizing.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:34 AM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Chiarizia View Post
im a gleaner in the am as you would know. v
BTW i sell more cheese than glass now. but with the house done im going back to sculpture work this year
Two words: Port Salut
Old 02-05-2019, 10:40 AM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
I don't know about the numbers, I have been following along with others.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:41 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
I would not trust the stats on who is here and who is looking at what. I mostly use my iPhone (posting from it now). iPhones and other phones/ tablets are notorious for leaving tabs and windows open while you click on a link and will tell the website that the viewer has been looking at the site all day when in fact he was just there for 5 seconds. Then you have bots and spiders...
Old 02-05-2019, 11:18 AM
The Old Gaffer

I understand how the site records users. I get IP's for everyone. Members names are listed, guests are not. It shows where anyone currently is looking and if you open the program, you remain listed for four hours whether you leave or not. If someone goes to multiple threads, it lists them.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:05 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Ok. .......
Old 02-05-2019, 01:01 PM

Larry Cazes is on a distinguished road
I lurk on the color board frequently. Its worth the work.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:49 PM

James Burts is on a distinguished road
I had no idea....

I'm glad you posted the question, and let me know to go looking for a color board. I've been around here for years, but had no idea that the color board existed.

The way I tend to navigate the site doesn't take me to the highest level "CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk" menu. I instead just bounce around the "Hot Glass", since it looked to me that the options were identical between "Hot Glass" and the "CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk" menus. Looking around, I see the color board listed on the top level, and suspect I'm going to spend a lot of time reading through there.

--James--
James Burts
Old 02-05-2019, 03:39 PM

Brian Wong Shui is on a distinguished road
The color board is listed “below the fold” to borrow a newspaper term. It is also listed as an archive in a smaller font....maybe if it were listed in the section that general board, classified, etc., were located it would get more traffic?

I can say that the discussions there are quite interesting to follow even though I’m not batching any color right now.

—Brian
Old 02-05-2019, 04:41 PM
The Old Gaffer

What I can't let the color issues, or clear formula issues devolve into is exposure of the initial formulas done by people who in fact wrote them and don't want to see them published more. While there is water over the dam, it doesn't mean I have an obligation to allow that to continue. It indeed does make the board less interesting in an "Aha" sort of moment.

There are lots of books. The thuringen recipes are a classic but riddled with errors. Virtually none are a 96 L.E.C. Some actually would never melt. They can all be adjusted. Helmer is a jewel and the same circumstances apply. Volf is a planetary roadmap for those who have sufficient vision to read latitude and longitude.

But I have said before that making a good clear formula is a prerequisite to making good color. Take a hard look at how many "bad" clear formulas the community has latched on to in the last two decades. I don't know how many million tons of bad formulas have been turned into glass which ultimately failed. Currently, I don't see the german cullet coming in as being any good at all. Indeed Spruce Pine has issues as a casting glass but works pretty well for blown wares. As John noted, it has solubility issue but the ones with GLASMA are worse.

And all of that breaks down when someone wants to know why a chrome color rod begins to devitrify in Murrini, A reasonable and impossible question. If Mark was willing to dump a glass when after seven hours it began to scum, we indeed have a high bar. The bar is made infinitely worse when it is worked by folks who have absolutely no experience with the expectations of what a glass should reasonably do. Mark indeed made glasses that Corning said were the most durable they had ever seen. Mark listed at the time expecting costs at about 10 bucks a lb...35 years ago.

I could go on and on and I just get lost in details. People still want to know about color xxx254 and how it mixes with color yyy 687. I have no clue. I don't ever deal in those numbers or rods . I make stuff. I measure. I produce some small quantities and all too frequently, I get taken advantage of for the open ness. That doesn't feel good. I'm sort of stupid about this. Almost everything I wrote for Glassnotes IV is hard to use. All the suppliers are just gone.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:15 AM

Peter McCarthy is on a distinguished road
Pete, a technical problem with the website may contribute to the the low view numbers on the Color Work thread: for me, that thread only appears when I first visit the site; it disappears when I go to another thread, and return to the home screen. So if I don't see that there's a new post when I first visit, I don't know that post is there to read.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:20 AM
The Old Gaffer

So, if you return to "Craftweb Hot Glass Talk" ( the overview) does it not show up. I usually do go there since I can see who's online at any moment. Then again, my software is likely different than yours.

So I just opened craftweb in a protected mode and you're right. It goes straight to general discussion. It does not show the Cords board at all which was intended for people who did not like the notion of the google spider. It does, if you go and click on the Craftweb hot glass talk", show the color board as the fifth board since cords won't show. It's old software, neither Katie or I want to update it. When it moves to my son's server, We likely will.

It doesn't really solve my existential problem about intellectual property. I'll watch and see.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:02 AM

Victor Chiarizia is on a distinguished road
no port salute yet but i make a real nice tellagio and raclette. v
Old 02-06-2019, 11:48 AM

David Hopman is on a distinguished road
I always just click the new posts button in the middle to see all the threads I have not read yet.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:29 PM

Mark Rosenbaum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hopman View Post
I always just click the new posts button in the middle to see all the threads I have not read yet.
That is what I do.... I had no idea that there was a separate color board!
Old 02-06-2019, 03:57 PM
The Old Gaffer

I think it will show up if it has a new post in it.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:21 AM

Max Epstein is on a distinguished road
I think what the board needs most is a software update and more categories for posts such as "equipment, tools, color" etc. Along with a way to upload HQ photos.

I would love to start making my own glass. But it looks like I will have to wait a few more years. I'm finally about to sign a lease on a new shop. But it's only 2100 sq. ft. Not enough for a gallery, bar, shop, and place to store and tinker. It's a compromise. But my best option.

I hope craftweb and the color board will be around then, because where else will I learn it? I can at least pretend to follow along now. (OK, yes there are books, but I will certainly have questions).

It would be a real shame if you didn't write your book, Pete, and that knowledge (and the knowledge here on Craftweb) disappeared. Some thoughtful edits and curating are also not a bad thing.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:28 AM
The Old Gaffer

I don't want to enhance photos here at all. This is meant as an info exchange, not a showcase. At this stage, I doubt I will do a book since the economics just don't work.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:53 AM

Lawrence Duckworth is on a distinguished road
How bout a boro glass section...I’ll go first, what’s the best torch for making 2” dia. Boro Marbles?....and how do you make them?
Old 02-09-2019, 08:00 AM
The Old Gaffer

Candidly, I'm reluctant to delve into subjects that I don't know much about and probably won't in the near future. Is it not the case that Boro has its own group? Nothing currently stops you from asking those very questions here in general discussion.

What I really don't want to do is to get into pictures. I've always resisted it so that Craftweb doesn't become a show and tell of the latest glasswork being made. Glassies covers that completely and I view it as more of a social platform than anything else.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:27 AM
The Old Gaffer

So I tried something I rarely do which was to go to the board with a VPN and it looks very different. Notable things are that I can't see who is on at any time, nor can I identify them. There is no archives board at all. The Cords board stays out of sight which was intended, The color board moves up into plain sight. There is no room for administrative access.

I do think that the board for earthbound tools etc would be a good place to put observations and questions about tools of all types although I think it gets plenty of coverage in General discussion.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:43 PM

Sky Campbell is on a distinguished road
I would like the ability to share better pictures with ease more for technical information and process. Not looking for a platform to show off new work.