CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Color work from rods and batch glasses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-28-2017, 03:01 PM
Pete VanderLaan's Avatar
Pete VanderLaan Pete VanderLaan is offline
The Old Gaffer
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Chocorua New Hampshire
Posts: 19,250
Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Cristalica, SPectrum, blah blah blah

I pulled the initial thread on this which essentially announced that Olympic is going to be carrying Cristalica. The question was, and is, what is the story then on Spectrum.
The last question was a request comparing the many cullets out there today which was off track but I'm OK with it.
It seems I may know more than what should be common street knowledge on this so I'll just sit back.
I do think that you will see serious significant price increases on cullet in general anywhere it's being made in the next six months. Think $1.75 lb or so, before shipping. Harvey was right when he said it can be a secondary product but not a primary product. It starts to make SP87 batch look really good but it's a killer for weekend wire melting warriors. I'll keep making my own. Enjoy the kool aide to come.
__________________
Where are we going and why am I in this basket?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-28-2017, 04:37 PM
Scott Novota's Avatar
Scott Novota Scott Novota is offline
AbbyNormal User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Pensacola Florida
Posts: 2,066
Scott Novota is on a distinguished road
I use the C-cullet for ease of use but I could switch over to batch pretty quickly and with a moly not suffer any ill effects. I have started to notice and uptick in the corrosiveness. I am however burning though quite a bit more of the C-Cullet now. About 400lbs a week.

I will have to very quickly sit back and figure out which way I am going to jump. I really enjoyed making three new batches of color the last couple of months I might just invest a little to upgrade that process and get source material. IE> silica seems to be my hiccup right now of all things. I bet I just have not found the right supplier.

Anyway, SP-Batch will do until I make the turn.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-28-2017, 07:51 PM
Pete VanderLaan's Avatar
Pete VanderLaan Pete VanderLaan is offline
The Old Gaffer
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Chocorua New Hampshire
Posts: 19,250
Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Novota View Post
I use the C-cullet for ease of use but I could switch over to batch pretty quickly and with a moly not suffer any ill effects. I have started to notice and uptick in the corrosiveness. I am however burning though quite a bit more of the C-Cullet now. About 400lbs a week.

I will have to very quickly sit back and figure out which way I am going to jump. I really enjoyed making three new batches of color the last couple of months I might just invest a little to upgrade that process and get source material. IE> silica seems to be my hiccup right now of all things. I bet I just have not found the right supplier.

Anyway, SP-Batch will do until I make the turn.
*******
Short Mt. Google them. It;s just great shit. Iron free, easy stuff.
__________________
Where are we going and why am I in this basket?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-28-2017, 07:55 PM
Pete VanderLaan's Avatar
Pete VanderLaan Pete VanderLaan is offline
The Old Gaffer
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Chocorua New Hampshire
Posts: 19,250
Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Responding to Eben.
I agree and actually go back 20 years from the creation of Spruce Pine. I view current glassblowers as profoundly lazy with little will to seek out necessary solutions to the ways to make glass. I suspect the economy coming will sort out a little of that. My renaissance friends think my vision is unlikely. SHow me I'm wrong.

$1.75 a lb? I think it may be low, but it's coming to you soon.
__________________
Where are we going and why am I in this basket?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-28-2017, 04:49 PM
Richard Huntrods's Avatar
Richard Huntrods Richard Huntrods is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 1,130
Richard Huntrods is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
... It starts to make SP87 batch look really good but it's a killer for weekend wire melting warriors. I'll keep making my own. Enjoy the kool aide to come.
Why? SP87 batch is great in wire melters as long as you don't overthink things and get silly. I mean, 8hr cook times? Seriously?

(I do seem to recall someone once mentioning that number for their cook times at 2250F, but I could be wrong as I'm getting old).

Mind you, given the way folks overthink cullet (again with the 2250?), SP87 is really no more difficult. The bonus is that it's pretty easy on pots and refractories, is the "elephant in the room" for handling and such, and is a really good deal.

I also have to say that I do love your glass formulation. It was just as easy to cook, and produced a glass that was just as easy to use and work, but the big benefit was a final glass that was much more brilliant in the finished work. Thank you again for letting me test it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-28-2017, 05:07 PM
Eben Horton Eben Horton is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wakefield, RI
Posts: 3,931
Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Huntrods View Post
Why? SP87 batch is great in wire melters as long as you don't overthink things and get silly. I mean, 8hr cook times? Seriously?

(I do seem to recall someone once mentioning that number for their cook times at 2250F, but I could be wrong as I'm getting old).

Mind you, given the way folks overthink cullet (again with the 2250?), SP87 is really no more difficult. The bonus is that it's pretty easy on pots and refractories, is the "elephant in the room" for handling and such, and is a really good deal.

I also have to say that I do love your glass formulation. It was just as easy to cook, and produced a glass that was just as easy to use and work, but the big benefit was a final glass that was much more brilliant in the finished work. Thank you again for letting me test it.
That was me with the 2250 cook. I used to charge on a Friday and let it sit all weekend and had perfect glass on Monday. Now I am busier and need to blow the day after I charge, so I cook at 2300 and fine at 2325 for 2 hours & squeeze at 1900.

I never drank the Cullet koolade... batch works just fine for me.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-29-2017, 08:42 AM
Josh Bernbaum Josh Bernbaum is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brattleboro, VT
Posts: 491
Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben Horton View Post
That was me with the 2250 cook. I used to charge on a Friday and let it sit all weekend and had perfect glass on Monday. Now I am busier and need to blow the day after I charge, so I cook at 2300 and fine at 2325 for 2 hours & squeeze at 1900.
Have you noticed a difference in fuel consumption between the two methods?
__________________
www.jmbglass.com
instagram.com/joshbernbaum
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-29-2017, 09:07 AM
Eben Horton Eben Horton is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wakefield, RI
Posts: 3,931
Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bernbaum View Post
Have you noticed a difference in fuel consumption between the two methods?
Its hard to say because I switched over to natural gas a few years ago, but I would think I did.

What I do now is crash it to 1700 at the end of the day and have it come up to working temp in the morning when i light the glory hole and annealers... Having my furnace running off of a GB5 was the best thing I ever did aside from the gas line... so easy to change the programs on it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-28-2017, 07:58 PM
Pete VanderLaan's Avatar
Pete VanderLaan Pete VanderLaan is offline
The Old Gaffer
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Chocorua New Hampshire
Posts: 19,250
Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Huntrods View Post

I also have to say that I do love your glass formulation. It was just as easy to cook, and produced a glass that was just as easy to use and work, but the big benefit was a final glass that was much more brilliant in the finished work. Thank you again for letting me test it.
*****
Best glass I ever formulated. Thanks to John Croucher and Mark Peiser for being sounding boards during those months. . East Bay has said they will make it.
__________________
Where are we going and why am I in this basket?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-28-2017, 08:43 PM
Art Freas Art Freas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 432
Art Freas is on a distinguished road
Late in the day so excuse any math errors.

IF I pay 1.75 per pound for cullet, I get pretty much a pound of glass. IF I get about .8 pounds of glass with batch I need 1.25 pounds of batch to get a pound of glass. That means if I pay more than 1.4 per pound for batch cullet is more affordable, less than 1.4, batch is more affordable. I will be interesting to see the relative prices for cullet vs. batch going forward.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-29-2017, 09:35 AM
Pete VanderLaan's Avatar
Pete VanderLaan Pete VanderLaan is offline
The Old Gaffer
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Chocorua New Hampshire
Posts: 19,250
Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Freas View Post
Late in the day so excuse any math errors.

IF I pay 1.75 per pound for cullet, I get pretty much a pound of glass. IF I get about .8 pounds of glass with batch I need 1.25 pounds of batch to get a pound of glass. That means if I pay more than 1.4 per pound for batch cullet is more affordable, less than 1.4, batch is more affordable. I will be interesting to see the relative prices for cullet vs. batch going forward.
*******
I simply don't see the price increasing all that much on batch. I do see it in cullet. The Germans are subsidized and that can't last. I have trouble believing Spectrum has a realistic future. I don't think Olympic would want Cristalica
because they want to offer clients a choice.
__________________
Where are we going and why am I in this basket?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-29-2017, 02:43 PM
Dan Vanantwerp Dan Vanantwerp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Bozeman, MT
Posts: 103
Dan Vanantwerp is on a distinguished road
Batch is starting to sound more and more appealing. I look forward to a thread announcement that the East Bay "Vanderlaan" batch is ready for order. Rather than starting with SP87, I think I'll await this version to make the switch. I am loving my chalcedony and look forward to seeing the results with a base glass Pete said would match it very well.

Thanks to Richard for mentioning his positive experience with it as well. I believe our furnace designs are from a similar vein.

I just expanded my own furnace to include two 17 lb color pots. Wow...I could start making some pure opal colors in addition to my cullet based formulas. I wouldn't even be thinking of this if it were not for this forum.
__________________
My furnace setting: 2112
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 AM.


All published comments within these message boards are the opinions of its contributor and does not represent
the opinion(s) of the owner(s) of this website. Please see the Terms of Use file for more details.

Books to Help Artists Avoid Online Scams: Top 10 Email Scams | Social Media Scams

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CraftWEB.com. Opportunity Network. 2008. All Rights Reserved.