CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > Classified Ads/ Opportunities

Old 06-30-2015, 12:46 PM

John Riepma is on a distinguished road
Digitry GB1 for sale

For sale. Digitry GB1 controller with thermocouple, plug box, 10' 50 amp cable with plug, manual and power supply. $375.00 plus shipping
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150630_121956-1.jpg (49.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 20150630_122007.jpg (29.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20150630_122017.jpg (42.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 20150630_122021.jpg (38.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 06-30-2015, 01:03 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
John, are you interested in trading for elements?
Old 06-30-2015, 04:18 PM

Mark Parkinson is on a distinguished road
can this unit be used to control a small wire melter with a type s thermocouple?
Old 07-01-2015, 05:57 AM

Pete, I have to drive out to the studio today to get an element count before I answer that. I'll let you know via PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:00 AM

Mark, from the data sheet online I believe that it can: http://www.digitry.com/gb1.html
You would need to contact Digitry to be be certain, and to be clear - this unit has a type K thermocouple. It was used on an annealer.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:57 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
I know the gb4 requires a different sending unit for an r or s thermoucouple. I run my furnace on one.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:05 AM

Thank you John that information helped. seems that buying a sending unit for an s type thermocouple would make this work. If the swap between Pete and yourself does not happen please let me know as I will be interested. I have contacted Digitry for clarification on if the external sender for an S type can be added as a "plug and play" or if it requires internal rewiring I will be in touch as soon as they are.

Last edited by Mark Parkinson; 07-01-2015 at 11:28 AM. Reason: adding information
Old 07-01-2015, 10:06 AM
The Old Gaffer

I have no vested interest in the controller. I have lots of stuff.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:46 PM

looks like the GB1 would have to go back to the factory for rewiring for use with an S type so I have to back out at this time.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:58 AM
The Old Gaffer

and I still have elements in the barn...
Old 07-02-2015, 10:32 AM

I can't say enough good things about digitry. As I said I run my gas powered furnace on a GB5 and can't be happier. It's so easy to program. My partlow mic 6000 drove me INSANE.

The cost to have a gb1 re tooled to 5-20 milliamp output and a new sending unit is well with the money.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:32 PM

Pete, I'm finally going to get the time to drive out to the studio and get a count on the elements that I have left tomorrow. I'll let you know as soon as I do.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:47 PM
The Old Gaffer

Fine. I'll give you an attractive price if I don't have to ship and I can always hold onto your elements . I need refreshing as to what they were. I no longer ship from here but I still have lots of them.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:22 AM

Kenny Pieper is on a distinguished road
The thing I don't like about the Digitry is it has no "fuzzy logic". So it is always over and under shooting the temp. You can buy a controller for a third the price that will do three times the job.
Eben is right they are more complicated.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:55 AM
The Old Gaffer

Kenny, I think you're reading Eben's post upside down. He loves the Digitry and hates the Partlow.

What I won't do is to get a Digitry that runs multiple units. People love that until it fails and knocks out everything at the same time , or the units fail, one by one. The Partlow on the other hand is a nightmare as far as I'm concerned but I would say the same about watlow units as well. Many of these things have way more bells and whistles than we really need. At least Watlow has a good help line. I recall people last year having trouble with the Digitry and they were unable to get anyone to answer the phone since someone was out of town.

My Love controls don't really fare any better. I've had them for decades and only one has actually failed but the programming is difficult. The worst part is that if you have completed a program and not reset the unit, which is always the case after an overnight annealing job, and then there is the slightest power failure, the program then runs in reverse which is a potentially serious issue. I have had annealers open and left the building while the last portion of cooling goes on, and the power goes out. Then the kiln turns back on and the heat simply rises to go where ever. That can happen on Mary Beth's slumper too and she often leaves flammables on top of the thing. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

So, I think it's a case of pick your poison. If the Digitry works as simply as some say, Mary Beth will really like it on her new box. She just flails when I try to show her how to put a program into the Love 16A. It was about $180.00 in 1980. I have a lot of stuff from back when I ran a large production shop and admittedly have a number of Love and Partlow controllers on hand. They are still a PIA. These days it's such a luxury to have the tooling for a staff of seven when It's just the two of us absentmindingly puttering now.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:05 PM
Part of the Problem

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
I did enjoy entering profiles into a Digitry. More user friendly. I most likely won't opt for any controller for multiple units because of the single point failure issue. But they are really nice.

How a unit performs after loss of power is a primary issue for me. The Watlow will default to whatever set point you manually enter before running a profile. I think Fuji does this too, but they're even more clunky than Watlow. You can have your work still nice and toasty at annealing temp the next morning.

If it's your only annealer I guess you'd be screwed for the next day's production, so yes, pros and cons for everything.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:17 PM

Jim Wiltschko is on a distinguished road
These folks were at the GAS conference - looks like a really promising product. I was so excited I forgot to ask the price.

http://kilncontrol.com/

https://www.facebook.com/sdsindustries

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rature-control
Old 07-03-2015, 01:29 PM

Richard Huntrods is on a distinguished road
I had a small watlow for the furnace when I started. It was OK... you could set a ramp in degF/hr but no real programming. Then it died (under warranty). Eventually I got a new one but...

Checking the 'net I found the Fuji PXR series was much cheaper than the Watlow I had, and it had programming capability. Realizing that programming the thing was a nightmare from the paper sheet, I invested in the RS485 version and a RS485-to-USB box for my computer. The software was free from Fuji, and made programming (and remote monitoring) the thing a breeze.

I have Fuji's on my annealer and my furnace, and so far they have performed as they should.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:16 PM

Glenn Randle is on a distinguished road
Richard,
That sounds like a good controller. The PC connection for programming makes good sense. Trying to set so many modes & variables using the 3 or 4 buttons on these little controllers is nuts.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:31 PM

George Vidas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Vriethoff View Post
How a unit performs after loss of power is a primary issue for me. The Watlow will default to whatever set point you manually enter before running a profile. I think Fuji does this too, but they're even more clunky than Watlow. You can have your work still nice and toasty at annealing temp the next morning.
A simple solution here is to add a start-stop relay. Same premise as you might see on an industrial-grade table saw: one button starts the motor, and another button turns it off. (In the case of an annealer controller, you wouldn't use the "off" button much.) The start-stop box hides a small relay, which maintains the "on" state until power is removed, either by pressing the "stop" button, unplugging the device, or a power outage. If power is returned upstream of the switch, the device will not turn on again until the 'start' button is pressed. In the case of your annealer, if the power goes out your controller will not restart itself without you physically there to re-set it to a meaningful state.

Here's a schematic and some discussion of what's going on (it goes on to discuss more complicated topics unrelated to the task at hand): http://www.electroschematics.com/864...relay-circuit/
Old 07-03-2015, 06:21 PM

I have a backup gb4 just in in case..

Kenny, my digitry will keep my furnace within 2 degrees. My partlow would always be 20 degrees above set point. Always.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:24 PM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
Operator error, Eben. You can tune it.

I do not like partlows though
Old 07-04-2015, 09:32 AM

Pete, I got up in the attic and checked yesterday and I think I have enough elements for now, especially since I have no clumsiness planned for the immediate future. (I hope)
Old 07-04-2015, 12:09 PM

Richard Huntrods is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Randle View Post
Richard,
That sounds like a good controller. The PC connection for programming makes good sense. Trying to set so many modes & variables using the 3 or 4 buttons on these little controllers is nuts.
What's really funny is that I started inspecting the parameters after programming. As a result I can alter quite a few of the programming parameters from the front panel now without needing the PC to be connected.

In the Calgary studio I had wires buried from the shop to the house electrics and included a 2-wire set so the controller PC was a server in the basement.

Here I never bothered... I just plug in an old laptop when I need to make major changes to the program (like start up vs. charge & run).
Old 06-23-2016, 05:49 AM

This unit is still available