CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 05-15-2020, 05:32 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
So, how many shops are on the verge of failing?

Hard question but A Real one. If I was in business looking for a bottom line, I've lost the entire league of NH craftsmen outlets. I'm presuming the summer show to be cancelled. There's nothing really left.

What's the look and feel out there?
Old 05-16-2020, 01:26 AM

Hugh Jenkins is on a distinguished road
Shop closings

We have been on the Big Island now for 20 years. We opened our gallery in 2004 and have survived, 9-11, 7.2 earthquake of 2006, the economic downer of '09-10-11, and the Volcano disruption of 2017-2018. This shut down for us has been sudden and total, no visitors, no travel, no spending. So we are closing our gallery rather than try to wait it out or overcome the problem with more work.
In fact it is something of a relief because I might not have ever "retired" if continuing had a purpose. What now? A great garden, taking over maintaining my own property again, maybe doing a better job of setting up a small showroom in the studio.
One kind of example of economic interaction is that with all of the restaurants shut down, there is almost no recycled cooking oil available, so my main fuel source is down for now. That may recover before any market returns, but will it justify starting back up? Not unless the fun of blowing glass also comes back. I do still think about things to make and try, and new burner trials on smaller equipment. So I get up every morning with something to do.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:04 AM
The Old Gaffer

The league cancelled the Sunnapee show yesterday. That will be devastating for the league craftspeople.

I often think of Victor Chirizia and his business and how he diversified it into the cheese routine. I have found I've lost interest in the studio in general in the last year and occasionally want to make things but I haven't blown glass more than three times since last Oct.

I'm watching these pearl mushrooms pinning up and coming out of the substrate and it is fascinating and potentially lucrative as well. Crucible sales are down which was no surprise to see coming. Mary Beth is making beautiful jewelry at his point but relies on me to make the parts.

It seems the solution on the White House's part for the virus is to pretend it's not there. Trump's actual quote yesterday said "If you do a test, you have a case , so if you don't test, you don't have cases."

Brilliant.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:23 AM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
One of my outlets has started a soft reopening. They're also trying to boost their digital presence, but I'm still 4 months away from the start of my season.

My main concern is my biggest show in October. They haven't cancelled, and the state is starting to reopen, but I'm not sure how you go about handling half a million people in a podunk little town of less than 15k.

Personally it's made me lose a lot of motivation. I managed to finish the kiln I'd been wanting to build, but I might use it once a week.

Honestly I think the virus is more wide spread and latent than we realize, it's testing active disproportionately among the population. I think the antibody testing is going to be the real key to getting things back to normal.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:20 AM
The Old Gaffer

The suppression of statistics seems to be the latest victim. Nebraska will no longer report Nursing home cases and deaths, Georgia actually produced graphs yesterday with the sheer intent to deceive someone. It put the latest results at the dead beginning with tiny notation and then seeded the other days to make it appear to be going down. It wasn't. Florida's medical examiner will no longer report cases.

So there you have it. Hear no evil, see no evil. The virus is apolitical. It will take down the bar room crowds with ease. Otherwise, 2-3 more weeks should yield an explosion of cases. The trick will be suppressing the information . Trump doesn't want testing because it shows how bad the problem really is and it reflects on his utter failure confronting it.
As to your show, don't count on it happening and if it does being terribly attended. People are not quite as stupid as Trump might think and no one will have money to spare by then.

Try the bleach, or the bright light, or the cloroxyquine, or April, or the hoax. or memorial day, or magic. If there is a god, it will get them both at the same time for not wearing masks or gloves.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:02 PM

Sky Campbell is on a distinguished road
With every crisis comes opportunity. As a collective we are a tenacious group that really went off the beaten path to fill our passions. I have no doubt our community will pull through and the studio movement will continue. We are in the process of moving our gallery into a smaller retail location and relying on internet marketing. This is all new but it looks very promising. People still want to buy pretty things and I think part of our success was everyone sitting at home. Itís not time to kick back and try to collect free money itís a time to reinvent yourself and find new ways to market our work. Iím participating in the virtual art shows and instead of paying to do shows they are paying me to participate. If the sales come it could be the new path if they donít itís time to market our work our selves as opposed to relying on the shows to market it for us. Iím getting stiffed from my commercial accounts as interior decorators struggle to get into new places. Money that was owed before the virus that I didnít worry about I might never get paid for now. That really burns but taking legal action will take time away from finding the new path. I lived my life chasing happiness over money I think as long as i can continue to have this passion for the material it will bring me happiness. Most glassblowers I know are multi talented and can make money doing other things if they continue to work with glass is yet to be determined.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:49 PM
The Old Gaffer

Well, the last I heard out of you on this subject was your complaints about not having the freedom to do whatever art show you chose, regardless of reality beckoning. Now, the shows pay you? Most people would like to buy food.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:56 PM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
The deaths aren't the part that I'm having a a question about, the virus is obvious more devastating in older individuals. It's the fact that people 65+ are nearly doubled in terms of their population percentage on the confirmed cases. What could they possibly be doing that is causing them to catch the virus more than the younger crowd? They could simply be more susceptible, but given the virulence I don't think that's the case.

The other adult age demographics are fairly on par when you compare them, but children are under represented. Since they are the "parenting" age why are they not passing it along to the kids? "Sorry Timmy, no hugs for you for 2 weeks, daddy had to get some mulch from Lowes." is not the scenario I see playing out.

Since we're barely testing and have no handle on how it's spreading it forces me to believe that we have a way higher infection rate, just without manifested symptoms. Take Sweden. Yes their cases are worse statistically, but why hasn't it simply imploded? Their kids are still going to school, and you can tell them to social distance, but they're still licking each others faces. Who knows how fast this thing got around before anyone started to do anything, and the dates of each locals patent 0 keep getting pushed back.

My wife had some respiratory symptoms back when this started, mild chest ache that was confirmed as not flu. She didn't qualify for covid testing at the time, despite her org having several people that frequent international travel. I've been peachy keen aside from needing a couple of shots of albuterol. Lily, our local big pharma, started doing antibody testing a month and a half ago, we didn't manage to get an appointment, but curious as to why there's been no published results. We're not going to get a vaccine any time soon, so I think the more pressing concern is finding out how many people actually got it and got over it without anything happening.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
Well, the last I heard out of you on this subject was your complaints about not having the freedom to do whatever art show you chose, regardless of reality beckoning. Now, the shows pay you? Most people would like to buy food.
Pete they are outside art shows. I understand social distancing and the need to not spread the virus. I would have thought you to be better informed. We should all be looking at why our immune systems have become so compromised in the first place. Vitamin D deficiency is really hurting our ability to fight this. How do we get vitamin d? The sun. What are you doing? Staying indoors. I thought this was about what we are doing in business I had no idea this was a invite to be insulted by your innuendos.

ďMost people want to buy foodĒ??? I donít understand. This comment at all.

Iím tired of the fear mongering. Iím not a denier And not some conspiracy nut either Iím trying my best to stay well informed keep my loved ones healthy not spread the virus and do something productive in this world.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:03 PM

Not to mention that was in early March when the shows were all being canceled and over 20 posts ago.

Last you heard of me??? Pfffftttt
Old 05-16-2020, 06:07 PM
The Old Gaffer

"ďMost people want to buy foodĒ

that was in regard to "free money"

Lets see where you come out on the other side if this. At this point, the (R) states seem to want to distort the data.

I just keep hearing from my friends of 50 years that they are closing up shop.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:36 PM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
I think we won't know for a while what business will be, I think blow your own is going to be dead until vaccines are available and rolled out. AS for the rest, I think we need to see how folks behave after lockdown ends and how the economy recovers. But for the shops on the edge, that may not come fast enough. I think we will be OK but that depends on a lot of factors we don't know yet.
Art
Old 05-16-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
"ďMost people want to buy foodĒ

that was in regard to "free money"

Lets see where you come out on the other side if this. At this point, the (R) states seem to want to distort the data.

I just keep hearing from my friends of 50 years that they are closing up shop.
I subscribe to teach a man to fish philosophy not give a man a fish.
Thatís why Iím here to learn from the giants that allow me to stand on their shoulders, my peers that are making their way and to share what I know.

Your friends of 50 years may be to tired to carry the flame but the flame will continue to burn. Donít discourage this next generation with the doomsday philosophy. We are strong and some of the most can do people in the art world. Iím not a young buck but at 50years young I still have a lot more to offer.

Iím tired of the political bullshit and personally wish everyone would stop being a democrat or republican, be honest, have morals, show empathy, value integrity and be a good human. The radical behavior from both sides has gone so far itís ridiculous.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:30 AM

Victor Chiarizia is on a distinguished road
for me the writing was on the wall a long time ago. remember making good $$ in the 90's and 20's at the shows. and hanging with friends and those dinners out and partying! sold enough bourbon then to pay for many expenses too. i do miss you guys.

a slow decline for me was happening year after year and i had rain selling which she was great at. also doing the same thing for so long can wear you out.
i still keep my furnace running as i still get artful home orders and can sell to my local gallery that is still having good sales during this time....online and by appointment.

buyers are making an effort to support farmers markets and artists as is evident with my customers that are buying more cheese than usual at the tailgates. we have 1/2 the vendors and 50 shoppers at any time, 6' bla bla you know the routine. can't wait to start selling glass at the markets. great pocket/ side hustle money.

i was fortunate to pay off my mortgage and all credit cards so my debt is pretty low. i now am working on bucket list work as i've put together a nice foundry and forging workshop. melting bronze and doing Damascus steel knives are my newest passions.

the southeast is opening up slowly and i'm feeling less likely to get the virus. only 119 people in my large county with a hospital that has 2 patients in icu. i will still keep distance for the most part and be careful with my close contacts. the next 2-3 weeks should show whats going to happen with georgia and south carolina leading the charge. if it spikes we're ****ed.

anyway i love quiet sunday mornings with all this time to type to you guys. so when we get to the other side of this i extend an open invitation for you to visit and stay in my new house. after 12 years of work i'd like some visitors. and pete when i make my next northern road trip i'd like to come to NH again and visit. be well my friends!
Old 05-17-2020, 07:57 AM
The Old Gaffer

I would not trade the last fifty years for any other kind of life. Every death that comes is usually someone I knew well and almost always for the better.
After 2008 it seemed that anyone with too much debt to service, or too many benches in operation was not going to make it. That's pretty much been true. I do agree that opportunity abounds but you would need to be able to hold out for a good deal of time. This is different.

Right now I know of a very amply supplied glassworks- all the tools, you name it in California in the bay area and 50K would take it. Five glassworkers could buy that and have a great shop for 10K each. That's opportunity.

As to the politics, I note the comment on standing on the shoulders of giants and I think that to be true. There's an interesting catch though- it's free, 100% absolutely free. When I left Brad Shute, he was planning to charge a fee to access his board. I was not willing to go that route. When Katie put this one out there for me to run on our strange path together, she initially had ads. I couldn't stand them as I can't stand them on the warm board. She simply dropped them and had not another word to say about it and that was 19 years ago. I like the notion of free access and that's a political position, it comes with some other baggage that I happily carry around.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:36 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
We are ok. In fact we are in the black for the year
Old 05-17-2020, 03:29 PM

Larry Cazes is on a distinguished road
Seemed that a year ago we were talking about the demise of the brick and mortar galleries and the wholesale shows. Online sales, mostly social media, have been good since the beginning of the lockdown for myself and everyone I know who was on the ball enough and had the desire to switch gears and try new things. I think the virus just moved the art industry along quicker to its inevitable renaissance.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cazes View Post
Seemed that a year ago we were talking about the demise of the brick and mortar galleries and the wholesale shows. Online sales, mostly social media, have been good since the beginning of the lockdown for myself and everyone I know who was on the ball enough and had the desire to switch gears and try new things. I think the virus just moved the art industry along quicker to its inevitable renaissance.
Exactly. Our website has been pulling our cart. We never put much effort into websales until the shutdown occurred so we put a bunch of our stock online and amazingly we sold lots of work.. it was a miracle. The thought is that when our gallery picks up again we will still have a strong web sales presence. Forced change can be good.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:08 PM
The Old Gaffer

These days, they call it disruption. I would say that 36 million people out of work is indeed disruption.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:34 AM
AbbyNormal User

Scott Novota is on a distinguished road
I have been shut down for months. This time of year I am normally full tilt boogie. That is personal. I have a 3 year old and she gets first run at the free time and I moved...that sync killed all the rest. I was using free time after job number one anyway....

Will I shut down for good? Nah, I will open for myself and my guys soon....but I am enjoying the down time and working on other things. I am lucky enough not to need it. That is just due to not having all my eggs in one basket. Hopefully the other basket does not tip over. Be safe guys this is going to be a marathon not a sprint I am afraid.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:48 PM
Registered Abuser

Brian Graham is on a distinguished road
I closed my family operated gallery and studio a year ago. Timing couldn't have been more perfect to unload a property at a good price to an out of the blue offer.
Starting with a condemned building; we built up a brick & mortar public hot glass studio & gallery for a good 12 year run. Sales definitely declined over time with the economy - we knew things were looking down when Christmas season sales were not going up. Shop rental was still fine and the expense is manageable when it is easily distributed across several individuals. Running a gallery is a huge commitment and expense - even living onsite gets old after awhile when your traffic dries up. It is hard to babysit a shop and keep the lights on with no customers. I miss my old gallery building and studio....In hindsight, it was the best decision to close for sure. I look at it as a giant gift from the universe timing wise.

I will always play and experiment with hot glass. To me glass has always been about having fun and enjoying myself. It is an expensive avocation / vocation for sure - but so is owning a boat or toying with classic automobiles. I still look at my furnace like a car I cannot drive.....it is still a fun ride though! When I get over it and it no longer gets my juices flowing - I will give it up. I do not see that happening though anytime soon.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:26 PM
The Old Gaffer

It was indeed another lifetime when I would bring home orders from the Rosen in excess of six figures. When I stopped, it was down to about 22-25K which was not viable given the costs.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:35 PM

Rollin Karg is on a distinguished road
My gallery has been back open for two weeks and business has been pretty good. The 10 days before that were good too. People were calling and paying over the phone, we put the sold item on the bench out front and the customers would come by and pick them up.

Business has been good enough that we are placing orders to refill what has been sold. Some will survive this many will not, those that have mastered the glass, the business and the art obviously have the best chance.
Good luck to everyone
Old 05-19-2020, 03:57 PM

Rich Samuel is on a distinguished road
T-shirts, masks, and these "coins." Anyone doing paperweights yet?

https://stampedcoin.com/collections/...0-plague-coins
Old 05-20-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Hard question but A Real one. If I was in business looking for a bottom line, I've lost the entire league of NH craftsmen outlets. I'm presuming the summer show to be cancelled. There's nothing really left.

What's the look and feel out there?
The problem here is your lack of diversification.
Had you kept on wholesaling and maybe adapting your work to the changes in the market you would have galleries willing to support you.

Had you kept making color you would have some glass blowers wanting that black and other great colors that you make.

If you had a gallery you would have a solid group of collectors that would want to support you in this time.

Itís an interesting thing for someone who just missed the glory days of glass blowers rolling in cash in the 80ís and 90ís and to hear the stories of the good old days and that itís not worth it anymore. In my opinion itís with it every time I can wake up and do this.. I really donít care about getting rich.

Just my opinion.. but then again it would be amazing to grow mushrooms and have a career shift which would allow a whole new learning opportunity.