Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 04-09-2019, 08:37 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
So why do so few women post here?

Well... why? ....
Old 04-10-2019, 11:26 AM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
Don't want to hang around a bunch of old farts?

I'm not the fool that's going to suggest that women are less mechanically inclined, but rather not mechanically encouraged. I've had this discussion with my partner about the tech opportunities that almost never go to women.

Any way to get a good demographic on the membership?
Old 04-10-2019, 01:34 PM
The Old Gaffer

I can go through the active members one by one. The membership is always in flux but I regularly see women applying for it and occasionally I see postings but almost always in an "I want to buy/sell" mode. Roseanna periodically posts observations about the trade. She's been around a long time.

Scott Benefield noted this back when he wrote an article on the color classes. I think in the four I taught back in Santa Fe, two had one woman each. The class here had three as I recall and they were women with businesses that had been around quite a while. Smart, involved, good insights and worked well with the larger groups in all cases. No mansplaining I can recall. If anything it was the opposite from one woman in the second class.

Not many in the trade shows either actually.

I think that the response to the question here from all these women is overwhelming.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:54 PM

Rick Wilton is on a distinguished road
and yet almost every fusing class is 80%+ women.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:26 PM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Wilton View Post
and yet almost every fusing class is 80%+ women.
I agree with that and if you look at the warm glass board it has input from both sexes constantly. Speculating over that runs some enormous risks I suspect. Mechanical skills? Welding Skills, Electrical wiring skills, all traditionally male occupations. Instructors failing to take female students seriously? If I looked back on the success levels of women in the '70's and 80's I think of Flora and Joey, Sonya B. Flo Perkins to a degree, Audrey Handler , Anne Warff at Kosta. I have no doubt that leaves many out and I'd just apologize in advance but they came to mind. It's always been a male dominated field.

In fusing, there's tons and bunches.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:50 PM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
My fusing classes are out numbered 4 to 1, but my blowing tends to be more evenly split. I remember being outnumbered all through college as well. It does seem that once you're out of education the numbers tilt toward the men.

This tends to be more of a fabrication and tech site, of which I've seen almost no women doing. That would help explain some of the lack on posting. Since colleges don't really teach tech, where there could be a lead to a more even dissemination of knowledge, there is some other buffer in the way.

While the torch scene seems to be over run by a lot of dude bros, there are some truly kick ass women in that field right now. Also, there is no denying the skills brought to blowing by Nancy and Karen. But again, that is all about glass talent, and not what most of this site is centered around.