CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 04-17-2019, 12:22 PM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
Mobile flameworking stations

So I'm looking to build a couple workstations to be able to convert the space I have for a hot shop to flameworking classes through out the week. I've got my manifold ironed out to be set up for quick connects, but could use ideas for mobile tables to mount it to. I'm thinking four 2x5' tables with two stations at each, so everyone has elbow room and everything stays fairly lite.

I've contemplated hardiebacker for the top, but I'm looking for alternatives. I feel like I'm covered in fiberglass after working on that stuff and it adds a significant amount of weight. Thin sheet steel would be nice, but is significantly more costly, and stainless about twice as much.

Basically, I'm short on space that I can work in, but have some storage for a manifold/workbench elsewhere in the building. Wondering if anyone else has gone through this.

And yes Pete, I know flameworking is not real glassblowing
Old 04-17-2019, 12:39 PM

Sky Campbell is on a distinguished road
We have a large octagon bench that has 8 torches and one hood over head. It is covered by high temp composite laboratory table top material and is way to heavy to recommend. The octagon itself could be built to fold in half like a ping pong table and put on wheels. Having a set up like this really makes a space where everyone is able to talk and watch others as they work. My work benches are all covered with aluminum. They take dry erase markers and disipitate heat quickly. If I built the octagon again I would fabricate it all from aluminum with aluminum sheet for the surface. Mill finish is better then bright dip and avoid painted or powder coated.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:43 PM

Rick Kellner is on a distinguished road
I don't know what you've been using for neon tables, but sheetrock might work for the other lampworking application as well. Most typically, I have used it with an overlay of the asbestos substitute fabric, but that stuff also releases itchy fibers.

Of course, if you leave the outer paper layer on the sheetrock, it will burn under hot glass. This doesn't seem to pose much of a problem with neon temperatures, especially if clad with the Nonsbestos/Transbestos material. I even find the burnt paper smell a bit charming after laying down a nice bend.

Otherwise, I suppose you could simply peel it off. I kind of look at the sheetrock as a sacrificial table top material, but it certainly is dirt cheap, readily available, and easy to replace when it wears out.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:01 PM

Could you post a pic of that octagon? Sounds like an interesting design if I get a dedicated space. The way my hoods are now I'm going to have to stick with linear for now. I'll consider the aluminum, roughly as much as the mild steel, but like the corrosion resistance. Any idea how thick yours are?
Old 04-17-2019, 01:07 PM

Back when I was bending sheetrock was what I used too. I'm hesitant on any type of backer board from home depot since I plan on this thing being mobile. I know I can move them without being destroyed, but I'm not always going to be the one moving them.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:58 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Everette View Post

And yes Pete, I know flameworking is not real glassblowing
Well good. I was quite disappointed that I didn't get a rise out of someone.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:06 PM

Paul Labrie is on a distinguished road
Try tiles

Hey Shawn For the last 30+ years I have used inexpensive tiles form Home Depot or the like. At about a buck and a half for a 12x12 in the white gloss, so 10-15$ for your table, they are expendable, fire resistant, easily replaced as I just lay them down, they do not contaminate the with fibers or slough off any nasty grit on to your tools or warm glass. Pack them up fold the table and your done. Reverse when you set up. They will crack if abused but you replace 1sq foot at a time and molten glass will stick to the glaze, but clean up nice plus give you a visual on the rod color because of the background.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:13 PM

I was waiting for the firestorm on that one.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:15 PM

I hadn't considered that. I like the price. What are you using to secure your torches. If I went with the metal I was considering embedding magnets to hold them.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:31 PM

Here is a mock up of what I'm thinking of building. One tables will serve as a cart to move the other 3 around.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf torch table.pdf (31.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 04-17-2019, 05:15 PM

I am kind of old school as my torch is permanently mounted to the table within a bracket that holds my boro face shield. Magnets can fail with heat and I just prefer not worrying about a live torch falling into my lap, or students lap. A male v notch bracket attached to the torch with the female counterpart bracket affixed to the table and a locking pin works well for my go to sculpture torch. Some of the new torches Bethlehem, Herbert Arnold, GTT have fixed bases that can also be easily attached to the table. When I use my Beth I just use smaller 4" pc's of tile to surround the torch. Also the lampworkers are glassblowers, a distinction without much of a difference. Goblets, pipes, cups, ornaments are all "Blown". We have always been the ugly stepsister to the handsome and mostly overrated "glassblowers". That should get Pete's rise going.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:32 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
You really need to understand when I'm just ****ing with you.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:22 PM

I'd feel like I'd notice a magnet starting to fail and needing replacement. Just use regular ceramic magnets instead of neodymium, weaker in general, but fair much better to heat. I've got a welding lens mounted to to my gloryhole shield with the ceramics that hasn't shown a iota of giving up. I tried it with the neo's first, lasted about a half hour.

Mechanical fixtures I'd be more interested in if keeping things flat and out of the wasn't as much of a concern.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:35 PM

As was I. Its been a constant refrain, the back and forth that has been my experience for the last 40 years. A good natured competitive ribbing. Just don't like being f***ed with either. So no offense intended. All the best Pete