CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 09-23-2019, 10:19 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Fuhrman View Post
when I was doing 1 day demos, I always used a dark colored glass cullet. That way you didn't have to worry so much about bubbles or mush of anything else. a dark cobalt blue cullet worked very well. Then I could put a little silver glass on the outside in different decorations and reduce it and it met the requirements of being both blue and shiny.

As the old quote goes, "if you can't make it well, make it big, if you can't make it big, make it shiny, and if you can't make it shiny make it blue"

In the autumn I could switch to a light amber. Spring , a nice green.
And fume everything...
Old 09-23-2019, 11:09 AM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
I've got a charge day built into programming on Mondays and nothing but my own slot the next morning. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta.

Back on topic, pre charging the cullet might also have another negative in that the heat is taking longer to get to the center of that mass. Getting it to temp empty and charging smaller doses would probably help the melt.

Last edited by Shawn Everette; 09-23-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:27 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
you have to look at what happens to the pot when you fill it cold and then turn it up and then to consider thermal shock breaking the pot, which ultimately, it will.
The pot relies on even heating through the quartz inversion range critically and so here we have a pot not entirely full of cullet being heated with a blast on the pot. So, lets say the cullet begins to go down at about 1275F and we now have this fairly cool mass in the lower half of the pot while the upper half again, is being blasted. Expansion is wide and varied in this scenario and the pot won't put up with it for long.

As far as the furnace and pot go, there's nothing good to be said about the practice. It's a convenience for the operator, nothing more.