CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 03-23-2018, 04:58 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Uline is awful about catalogs. At least six a year and everytime you order you get another. Now I live in logging country and I do sell trees but it's a disgusting waste of a resource. Graingers is another one.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:11 PM

David Hopman is on a distinguished road
If you call Uline they will reduce your catalogs to however many a year you want. I am down to one a year now.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:23 PM
The Old Gaffer

I tried that and after a brief interval, they stepped it right back up.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:46 PM

Sky Campbell is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Riepma View Post
I plugged in some of the popular sizes that I use and this seems cheaper than Uline: https://www.packagingsupplies.com/shipping_cartons.html Not sure about shipping costs though. I agree that Uline shipping always seems rather expensive to me.
4x4x4 plain Jane gift box from uline $15 (100) above is $20.15 (100)

I would like to find a equal price supplier. Do any of these companies price match?
Old 03-24-2018, 10:21 AM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben Horton View Post
Josh, do you know Emily Abbott? She is related to this company in some way.. maybe her dad started it? I havenít thought about this since 2005... but here you go.

http://www.abbottaction.com/
Yup, I went to MassArt with Emily years ago. Thanks for link.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:33 PM

David Balkon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Kube View Post
With art and arts funding anathema to current conservative values you should not be surprised that artists and craftspeople take a dim view of companies like this.

You, too, are welcome to vote with your wallet.
Jordan, you are correct and your first statement makes sense to me. My own belief is that Democrats fund the arts more when they are in power than the GOP does. (I did not fact check it)

Yes, I could boycott businesses that support political beliefs that are not in line with mine, but I choose not to. I still went to Target when the conservatives were upset about their transgender bathrooms, and I still went to Chik-fil-a when they were in the news about gay marriage. They are both close to my home and I like their products. I do not have a high regard for politicians of either party. I think bad legislation passes when one party controls Congress and the White House. I am more moderate and think compromise is good and necessary.

Lastly, I value the help I have received from the members of this board. I appreciate that it is ad free and cannot imagine the amount of time and money that Pete and others have put into keeping it up and running.

To those I offended, I apologize.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:03 PM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Balkon View Post
Jordan, you are correct and your first statement makes sense to me. My own belief is that Democrats fund the arts more when they are in power than the GOP does. (I did not fact check it)

Yes, I could boycott businesses that support political beliefs that are not in line with mine, but I choose not to. I still went to Target when the conservatives were upset about their transgender bathrooms, and I still went to Chik-fil-a when they were in the news about gay marriage. They are both close to my home and I like their products. I do not have a high regard for politicians of either party. I think bad legislation passes when one party controls Congress and the White House. I am more moderate and think compromise is good and necessary.

Lastly, I value the help I have received from the members of this board. I appreciate that it is ad free and cannot imagine the amount of time and money that Pete and others have put into keeping it up and running.

To those I offended, I apologize.
I'm not offended at all. I understand the sentiment. Probably the area which grates on me the most is when someone comes in, having made zero intelligent contributions ever and tries to hawk a poor product I know won't work. Those guys get short shrift out of me and in general, I really know my shit. The ones I love are the brand new kids who are so excited with their first burn. That always feels like yesterday but my yesterday did not have Craftweb, it was a big void. Teaching is a calling. The internet changed everything except common sense.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:30 PM

rodman gilder miller is on a distinguished road
OMG, I did not know Uline used their profits on the right! I just, yesterday, received a inch plus catalogue from them. Normally it sits around for a while and I might look at it. This one will be as kindling for tonight's fire!
Old 03-25-2018, 06:21 PM

Max Epstein is on a distinguished road
Jimmy John's is also owned by a giant dbag trophy hunter. Hard to stay away from those tasty subs around the corner...
Old 03-25-2018, 07:37 PM
The Old Gaffer

Normally, I don't discourage or encourage political postings here but I will admit I have a short fuse with right wing stuff and I've reacted to it in the past and will continue to do so. I don't find it to be a consensus opinion on the board and if I did, I'd likely let the board die. I've actually only gone after two opinions in the last fifteen years that I could not live with.

Having said that, I really and truly are the benevolent dictator in the board. I'm much more concerned with bullshit than I am with politics. Katie knows exactly who I am.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:01 PM

David Hopman is on a distinguished road
I use U-Line for a lot of my packing supplies. I shred their catalogs for packing material.