CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 04-09-2018, 02:19 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
my new unexpected experience

So, I did this 80 lb melt of silver opal yesterday and I was dissatisfied with the resulting color. I couldn't get a strike of any kind off the top so I took the ladle and flipped the glass about four times, tried again and got some color. So I did it again and it improved more. I decided it needed a real stirring so I went in the house and found a Yam. Yams are more dense than potatoes. I drilled a hole into it to keep it from splitting, cored it some and found an old steinert punty that the tip had fallen off of, so it was hollow. I jammed the Yam onto the punty and went ahead and stirred the glass with it, which if you've never tried, wear goggles and a lead hand glove. It worked fine, I kept it in about 30 seconds and pulled the mess and set it on rollers on my bench and went to do a few other things.

About 45 seconds later there was this big BANG! and I looked around trying to figure out what has just happened. The potato wasn't there anymore. I couldn't find it. Eventually I did and it went some distance. The hollow punty coupled with the density of the Yam and the nice seal between the two was quite enough. That baby travelled. It didn't break anything but I can just imagine the insurance filing. I'm glad I wasn't in the way. Never before, nope, not in 50 years....

The color is fine now.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:21 PM

Dan Vanantwerp is on a distinguished road
Wow...new twist on the spud gun. Might be a good one for the "don't" thread.

I was doing a blacksmith demo at Yosemite and left the forge unattended for a moment while some folks asked me some questions. I'd just started the fire and some gases must have settled down where the blower introduced air to the coal. BOOM! Scared the crap out of me. No damage...got lucky.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:42 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Wow pete! That’s wild! I will have to note this for future hotshop pranks.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:49 AM

James Ennis is on a distinguished road
oh man, I need a pun sooooo bad.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:52 AM
Registered Abuser

Brian Graham is on a distinguished road
This has happened with my large hollow punty rods a few times. The nylon end cap will blow off and sail across the glass shop. First time it happened it struck my crack off barrel and sounded like a gun shot hitting metal from an old Western movie. Bang - Paaattinggggg.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:46 AM

Sandy Dukeshire is on a distinguished road
Well you got my attention at ‘so it was hollow’.
Glad you and the color are ok
Old 04-11-2018, 08:59 AM

Kind of unrelated, but I had a commission to make 13 12” wide x 18” tall open ended optic twist cylinders. I had a mold made which was basically a glory hole drum that I lined with linseed oil and cork dust. The first piece I made went well until I went to pull the glass out of the mold and the wet linseed oil was allowed to come into contact with fresh air and combusted in what can only be described as a cannon going off. The glass and pipe shot up and the tip of the blowpipe missed my nose by a couple of inches. I think it went up about a foot from the explosion. Had that gone off when I was blowing I am sure I would have lost teeth or had the tip go through the roof of my mouth.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:44 AM

Sky Campbell is on a distinguished road
I've seen many a strange thing happen with heat and pressure.

What I really want to know is that silver opal the "bomb"? Puns aside how did it turn out after a good boil and stir?
Old 04-11-2018, 11:04 AM

Sandy Dukeshire is on a distinguished road
...and you Mr Horton had me at ‘with linseed oil’...
Thank you
I feel much more normal now
Old 04-11-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Dukeshire View Post
...and you Mr Horton had me at ‘with linseed oil’...
Thank you
I feel much more normal now
Why is that ?
Old 04-11-2018, 01:56 PM
The Old Gaffer

As is frequently the case with silver glasses, it's different but really beautiful. The glass is laced with tiny seeds and I would bet a hat they're CO2. The plan for the glass is/was/ to run three different silver opals at the same time, a cobalt silver a peach silver and the normal but the normal in a much larger pot, in this case 80lbs. Doing this I have no clear. So there are relationship changes that occur one usually doesn't consider. In this case, the surface area for the melt is far greater, the volume being charged is quite different, the time between charges longer. There are probably more differences affecting the glass presentation. Then once it's melted, the amount exposed to the furnace atmosphere is much greater. Given that last condition I would be inclined next time to increase the black tin very slightly in the larger melts. The total silver nitrate amount in the 80 lb melt is only 30 grams.

So this is a glass I've seen before where it really strikes best on the punty. It's not a Calcedonia. The glory hole is best in reduction. It's best to cool the glass before striking and if one is fortunate, the color will deepen with each heat. Coupling it up with the cobalt and Peach stuff is a beautiful contrast. The intent was to sandblast these and then to oil them. Based on what I got, I'll do some that way and leave some alone to see how I like them. I'm making some sconces that will have an interior light and the diffusion pattern from the blasting is really nice. I did one making my old copper ruby and it fades from the ruby to almost clear on the other end.

The strange part for me on this stuff is I have no where to sell stuff anymore. I don't want to do shows. Most of my old galleries have quit. The League of New Hampshire Craftsmen simply doesn't have the higher end clientele for this work and I don't want to undersell it. I just make things now for the hell of it. That's a nice experience but the shop is kind of filling up with stuff.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
As is frequently the case with silver glasses, it's different but really beautiful. The glass is laced with tiny seeds and I would bet a hat they're CO2. The plan for the glass is/was/ to run three different silver opals at the same time, a cobalt silver a peach silver and the normal but the normal in a much larger pot, in this case 80lbs. Doing this I have no clear. So there are relationship changes that occur one usually doesn't consider. In this case, the surface area for the melt is far greater, the volume being charged is quite different, the time between charges longer. There are probably more differences affecting the glass presentation. Then once it's melted, the amount exposed to the furnace atmosphere is much greater. Given that last condition I would be inclined next time to increase the black tin very slightly in the larger melts. The total silver nitrate amount in the 80 lb melt is only 30 grams.

So this is a glass I've seen before where it really strikes best on the punty. It's not a Calcedonia. The glory hole is best in reduction. It's best to cool the glass before striking and if one is fortunate, the color will deepen with each heat. Coupling it up with the cobalt and Peach stuff is a beautiful contrast. The intent was to sandblast these and then to oil them. Based on what I got, I'll do some that way and leave some alone to see how I like them. I'm making some sconces that will have an interior light and the diffusion pattern from the blasting is really nice. I did one making my old copper ruby and it fades from the ruby to almost clear on the other end.

The strange part for me on this stuff is I have no where to sell stuff anymore. I don't want to do shows. Most of my old galleries have quit. The League of New Hampshire Craftsmen simply doesn't have the higher end clientele for this work and I don't want to undersell it. I just make things now for the hell of it. That's a nice experience but the shop is kind of filling up with stuff.
Pete, jen and I will sell your work for you... and also Marybeth’s jewelry.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:24 PM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben Horton View Post
Pete, jen and I will sell your work for you... and also Marybeth’s jewelry.
I'm good with that. Take some of it to shows....