CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 04-12-2018, 10:44 AM

Rich Samuel is on a distinguished road
OCR Moving?

From today's paper. Marty's shop is the one at OCR. Any word on Phil's next move? I hope he stays on this side of Lake Washington; don't need to add tolls to the cost of color.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ng-in-seattle/
Old 04-12-2018, 11:00 AM

Mark Rosenbaum is on a distinguished road
The American glassblowing movement was born there???? I thought that was Toledo....
Old 04-12-2018, 11:26 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
and don't forget, Dale invented color rods...
Old 04-12-2018, 12:41 PM
Registered DancingChicken

Randy Kaltenbach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
and don't forget, Dale invented color rods...
I never thought about this before. Where was concentrated color to be used with clear invented?
Old 04-12-2018, 12:57 PM

Rick Kellner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Samuel View Post
From today's paper. Marty's shop is the one at OCR. Any word on Phil's next move? I hope he stays on this side of Lake Washington; don't need to add tolls to the cost of color.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ng-in-seattle/
OCR sent out an email about it yesterday. Looks like the new location is a tad west of Seattle Pacific University, (1050 W. Nickerson) effective April 30th. No toll roads to worry about!
Old 04-12-2018, 02:28 PM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Kaltenbach View Post
I never thought about this before. Where was concentrated color to be used with clear invented?
Color along those lines had been around German and Swedish shops for a long time. In Sweden, you could see entire bars stuck up in pipe warmers before 1970. Klaus got his start early on providing color to myriad shops in Germany before the cold war split the country in two leaving Reichenbach on the E. German side. GLASMA mixed proprietary stuff for Kugler.
Bendheim (sp?) brought rod into the united states and was selling it at RISD as early as 1970 and they had an exclusive to do so or that's what they thought. Spruce Pine under Harvey got it as well rather late in that game and a disgusted Bendheim quit handling it. OCR got it from Harvey with some questionable finances I won't go into here . I don't know how Zimmermann arrived. We were using it at Pilchuck in the mid '70's. Beautiful color and always problematic. Then there were rabbits friends and relations who came and went. Gaffer was an upstart back in the early '90's first handled by East Bay which Phil dissed, then to Phil, then on their own. .Phil drops Kugler... blah blah blah.. Chuck and I had a brief shot at it but we were undercapitalized .
Rainbow Color rods was my favorite. They sent out a card saying they were coming to GAS and then when they did, there was cobalt blue, manganese purple and a turquoise and a green. They guy representing it didn't know what expansion factors were. I don't know how the italians handle big loads of color. I don't think they went beyond Effetre and didn't seem inclined to work with anything off the Island.
Dale actually did claim he brought color rods into the country for a time. I think he quit making that claim by 1998. RISD did make their own colors for a time but it was profoundly basic.

Now that's my best recollection and some ( much) may be wrong.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:50 PM

Steven O'Day is on a distinguished road
I believe Bendheim originally brought in Zimmerman as well.

Joe Barnes from Bendheim told me that he worked at a factory in the 50's making buttons and jewels from rods. They were about 6 feet long and the tips were put directly into the GH, cutting of gobs as needed. So the rods were out there long before American glassblowers started using them.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:19 PM
The Old Gaffer

I just don't remember seeing Zimmermann early on. I remember John Bingham having brought back a bunch of rod when he was doing some sort of trip to Sweden as a student of Billy Happel's at Goddard. John had this big PVC tube of it and was going around with that to anyone he could find. There weren't a lot of us to find in those days. I was melting plate glass in those early days and John was trying to finish whatever Goddard required for his degree and my shop was there, but the plate and the Kugler didn't fit at all, so we softened up the window glass with Soda Ash. I think that was my first real foray into altering glass bodies, back around 1971 I think. At that time RISD was still making those samples hung on the wall in basic transparents that they would try making. Henry Summa and I ordered a bunch of it and it went to the APO in Oberammergau where Henry had family stationed. The, the house burned down with the rod in a box. It fused. His cousin still sent the contents along and we were banging chunks out it with a chisel. We were so innocent then and every day was an exciting hunt for something new. When GAS got going, the real reason was to show off what you had learned.

25 drunks on a school bus having a wonderful time..
Old 04-12-2018, 04:24 PM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
They're in the old Seattle Grip and Lighting building off of Nickerson. Really cool spot.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:25 AM

Franklin Sankar is on a distinguished road
Pete when you used Kugler with your window glass, was it after you softened the glass with soda.
Franklin
Old 04-13-2018, 10:09 AM
The Old Gaffer

Yes. It was not what I would call extremely successful by current standards. It didn't check. Kugler opals are around an 89 expansion and their transparents are mostly in a 94-97 range. Plate glass was about an 86 as I recall.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:53 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
Yes. It was not what I would call extremely successful by current standards. It didn't check. Kugler opals are around an 89 expansion and their transparents are mostly in a 94-97 range. Plate glass was about an 86 as I recall.
Plate glass was 86? As in 86 seconds of working time?
Old 04-13-2018, 11:17 AM
The Old Gaffer

Of Course. The coefficients actually are all statements of working range if one starts at 2080F. I should have explained more sufficiently. The 104 stuff is fabulous. That 33 stuff is kind of "short", which is a highly technical term that few people understand.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:19 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
You mean there isnít just soft glass and hard glass bro? Boro is so heady. - a direct quote from a pipe maker