CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 04-05-2018, 07:19 PM

Larry Cazes is on a distinguished road
Boro Work with fumed metal films?

For the last 5 years I have been working with fumed gold and silver and borosilicate glass in a propane oxygen torch. Anyone else here doing this? I would love to trade notes with anyone else that may be experimenting as I am. Different metals, toxicity data, techniques, etc. are all of interest to me.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:53 AM

Lawrence Duckworth is on a distinguished road
Larry-I'd love to know how you guys make those galaxy marbles.. You have some gorgeous stuff on your web page ..nice pumpkins too! I like a twist in my pumpkin stems. I work alone so my knockoff pedestal is basically an elevated Lazy Susan...I just give everything a quick spin before clipping the stem. I'd add that tid-bit to the Craft Web "How to make a Pumpkin Sticky" category but there just isn't one go fig'r

I've been playing around with boro for a few weeks now trying the pin implosion and flower implosion. the two flowers I made look like crap but I'm getting somewhere now with the pin deal.

Hope you get some feedback on the fuming...I can't help..good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0394.jpg (72.0 KB, 55 views)
Old 04-07-2018, 11:46 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
As soon as The Corning Museum of Glass has that open call for entries in their 1st Millennium show on "the Squash Blossom matured over Centuries ", I'll post the application process Lawrence. Otherwise, sadly, the toil and labor will remain in the shadows. Another twist of Fete (sans circumflex) .
Old 04-07-2018, 01:28 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cazes View Post
For the last 5 years I have been working with fumed gold and silver and borosilicate glass in a propane oxygen torch. Anyone else here doing this? I would love to trade notes with anyone else that may be experimenting as I am. Different metals, toxicity data, techniques, etc. are all of interest to me.
I have a lot of friends around here who are doing it. Symax brand seems to fine better than other brands of boro. I donít dabble in the dark art of boro glass.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:23 PM

Franklin Sankar is on a distinguished road
Anyone got it to work with soft glass ? I tried but nix. My wife guarding her jewelry real close so I can't try much more experiments.
Franklin
Old 04-07-2018, 07:00 PM

it doesn't really work with soda lime glass. I cant explain why.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:31 AM

Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig is on a distinguished road
Hi Larry
Lawrence woke my curiosity and I looked at your page- the things look nice but what am I looking at? Are they marbles? If so how big? Why are all the pictures cropped so I have no sense of the shape or size?
Old 04-08-2018, 11:20 AM

Sky Campbell is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben Horton View Post
it doesn't really work with soda lime glass. I cant explain why.
Old German flameworker in disney's Epcot would argue that. He works with 96 glass that is pulled tubes from Germany. He can get some really beautiful effects with silver on some of his colors and has a nice amber effect on clear. I suspect it has more to do with oxidizers in our base glass that makes it difficult or impossible. He is currently doing my home town art show and was looking at his work yesterday. Large flameworked vessels from (his words)96 soda lime. Very finished eloquent work.

I have experimented with silver nitrate and found it works better on some glass bodies better then others. I can see how a neutral clear would have a hard time taking a silver fume but I would think many of the colors we use would fume nicely.

A little side note

This would be my 20th year of doing Gainesville art show. I decided to sit this one out. My son is doing the show with jewlery made from Gainesville's famous graffiti wall. Faceted paint chips. I'm not thrilled about the mess in the cold shop but he is doing well. Started yesterday with 200 pairs of earrings and rushed home last night to clear coat the rest of what he had faceted worried about selling out. I'm very proud and happy to be on the sideline. He is 15 now and will have enough money from this show to buy his first street legal vehicle.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:39 AM

That makes a lot of sense Sky.

I will say that when I have tried doing it, I made a 'fume stick' out of my own glass and what happened was that it would just melt in the flame. I think that if someone was to dedicate the time to exploring this in the hotshop, they would have some success. And if they read this, let me give them a huge tip- use a boro fume stick as it won't melt as easily in the flame. better yet would be quartz as it would take a monumental effort to get it to even move slightly under a flame.

Thats a great story about your son! Mine is 13 and I have been encouraging him to think about something to do / make to make money.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:01 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I strongly suspect that Sky is correct about the basic balance of the glass. I would suggest that anyone wanting to try that stuff that using the SP87 color base would be the material to work with. It will take longer to fine out having no nitrates in it.
When I se silver bromide on the surface of an oxidized glass, it tends to ball up. If I put it on a glass designed for reduction, even if clear, the bromide flows easily over the surface. It's not a subtle difference.

My son is quite capable of leaving the shop in a state of disarray as well Sky but he's not as bad as me.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:50 PM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
My experience is it doesn't look that great mostly because the area you are working is larger. You need a big bit of whatever metal you are using on there.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:00 PM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
I think substrate temp is important too. Soft glass starts to move at ideal fuming temperatures. That's just my hunch.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:17 PM

Chris Lowry is on a distinguished road
This is fumed silver, the blue and grey at top...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 96E48654-B4AA-4D7D-978C-788C59084E99.jpg (34.9 KB, 58 views)
Old 04-09-2018, 09:20 PM

Sky your son is lucky to have you to guide him.
I never thought about fuming color glass.
Franklin
Old 04-10-2018, 07:30 PM

OK. Sorry. Been away at a family wedding. They are full spheres with transparent centers with three dimensional fumed landscapes and gilson opal shapes inside and then the backs are decorated on the surface. They are between 2" and 3.5" across. I use all Simax clear and mostly TAG and northstar boro color. The patterns inside are ALL silver and gold fumed only Simax clear

In these you are looking into the center of the sphere through a clear front lens:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _YS22155sm.jpg (35.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg _YS22140sm.jpg (55.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg _YS220101sm.jpg (27.6 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Larry Cazes; 04-10-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig View Post
Hi Larry
Lawrence woke my curiosity and I looked at your page- the things look nice but what am I looking at? Are they marbles? If so how big? Why are all the pictures cropped so I have no sense of the shape or size?
Sorry. Look at my reply. In some of the pictures you are looking into the clear center of the sphere through the front lens and in others surface decoration on the backs. They are full spheres with no flat and are sold with either a simple lucite ring stand or more complicated hot sculpted boro stands like the sandblasted hand in the picture. The size goes from 2" across up to 3.5".
Old 04-10-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post
Larry-I'd love to know how you guys make those galaxy marbles.. You have some gorgeous stuff on your web page ..nice pumpkins too! I like a twist in my pumpkin stems. I work alone so my knockoff pedestal is basically an elevated Lazy Susan...I just give everything a quick spin before clipping the stem. I'd add that tid-bit to the Craft Web "How to make a Pumpkin Sticky" category but there just isn't one go fig'r

I've been playing around with boro for a few weeks now trying the pin implosion and flower implosion. the two flowers I made look like crap but I'm getting somewhere now with the pin deal.

I can help you out with this. Basic flower implosions are fairly easy. Mine are the result of almost 6 years of experimentation with these materials. I use only 24k gold and fine silver for the fuming work and the planets are gilson opal spheres.

Last edited by Larry Cazes; 04-10-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:37 AM

Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig is on a distinguished road
Larry- thanks, helped a lot- what are Gilson opal shapes?
They look really nice

Last edited by Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig; 04-11-2018 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Just added
Old 04-11-2018, 07:18 AM

Hi Larry, I have been following your work some time now and found it to be quite magical. Can one buy opal blanks and remelt them to ones design.
Franklin
Old 04-11-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig View Post
Larry- thanks, helped a lot- what are Gilson opal shapes?
They look really nice
Gilson opal is a synthetic lab synthesized opal material. This formulation is compatible with 33 COE borosilicate glass and can be easily encased and incorporated into work. The color and fire is very difficult to capture in photos but it is spectacular. It can be purchased in Rough form and it can also be shaped and polished with methods similar to glass.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Sankar View Post
Hi Larry, I have been following your work some time now and found it to be quite magical. Can one buy opal blanks and remelt them to ones design.
Franklin
Hi Franklin. Good to talk again. Last time we talked you were trying fumed metals with soft glass. Did you achieve results you were happy with?

The opal can be purchased in rough form but it needs to be shaped and polished cold. I sometimes work with it on a faceting machine but I also purchase some of these shapes already finished.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Campbell View Post
Old German flameworker in disney's Epcot would argue that. He works with 96 glass that is pulled tubes from Germany. He can get some really beautiful effects with silver on some of his colors and has a nice amber effect on clear. I suspect it has more to do with oxidizers in our base glass that makes it difficult or impossible. He is currently doing my home town art show and was looking at his work yesterday. Large flameworked vessels from (his words)96 soda lime. Very finished eloquent work.

I have experimented with silver nitrate and found it works better on some glass bodies better then others. I can see how a neutral clear would have a hard time taking a silver fume but I would think many of the colors we use would fume nicely.

A little side note

This would be my 20th year of doing Gainesville art show. I decided to sit this one out. My son is doing the show with jewlery made from Gainesville's famous graffiti wall. Faceted paint chips. I'm not thrilled about the mess in the cold shop but he is doing well. Started yesterday with 200 pairs of earrings and rushed home last night to clear coat the rest of what he had faceted worried about selling out. I'm very proud and happy to be on the sideline. He is 15 now and will have enough money from this show to buy his first street legal vehicle.
Is he on social media? I would love to see his jewelry.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post

Nice Pumpkin! Ive been concentrating on my boro work so I haven't made any new pumpkins for a few years. Someday I will get back to them.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:02 PM

Lawrence Duckworth is on a distinguished road
Larry, Iím getting materials from Mountain Glass and noticed they sell Gilson opals, a bit pricey though 3-4 bucks for a 3mm sphere..

I notice you said that they encase ez. Can you explain how to do it or is it something that needs to be seen? ... I use a 24mm clear rod to start my pin implosions.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:54 AM

Thanks for the reply Larry. No luck. The clear eventually turn dirty.
Sky has given me some hope that all is not over as yet.
Franklin