CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM

Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig is on a distinguished road
This degrades this whole discussion, the glass discussion into some kind of weird **** up- put it in straia, Pete
Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
As our leader says about the virus, it will go away by itself.
In a world filled with pumpkins, I don't care all that much.
Old Today, 07:51 AM

Ed Pennebaker is on a distinguished road
money as a tool

I saw a comment elsewhere about money being a tool, maybe the ultimate tool. If you have the money to buy the tools you need, it becomes much easier to make things. Or you can just pay someone to facilitate and make whatever you design, think Jeff Koons, etc. That is not my desire, I find pleasure in making. The blog Wisdom of the Hands is along my line of thinking, "make, fix, create".
Old Today, 09:42 AM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig View Post
This degrades this whole discussion, the glass discussion into some kind of weird **** up- put it in straia, Pete
I kind of agree. I feel a lot of the dissonance in this board is about differences in meaning. Same word, same concept, different perspectives. In my non-glass job I architect information, that is my "day" profession. Many of the emotional conflicts on this board are around what is a tool and what is a product. The hard part is that tool or product is wrapped up in our perspective not the item in question. Pete sees clear glass as a product, many of us see it as a tool or raw materiel. It is Pete's end product but not ours. So we value it differently, many times not enough, but different. Maybe we are brushing our teeth and just need toothpaste. But gaining a better understanding of our perspectives helps. When I look at what is happening to our glass community across the world we had better communicate better and work together better or it will be a world of folks trading 3d printing files and thinking what comes out of filament is a work of art. With no intimacy with the material or the product.