CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > Antiques & Classics

Old 10-29-2015, 04:00 PM
Evan Hurley

evanhurley is on a distinguished road
Ed's easy explanation of corking a mold

Hey Everyone:

we are having some issues with our pieces being scratched in our steel molds which have been corked using 40/80 cork from Maryland Cork.

Wondering what grit of cork you recommend for a high production mold, and what quantity/style you cork the mold in.

We utilize renite paste, and do three layers of paste and cork, alternating.

Much thanks!
Old 10-29-2015, 04:32 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I would advise you to look in the archives for posts on the subject by Ed Skeels who really knows his stuff on corking. Ed is not likely to answer this post at all having communicated with him last week, I know he's out of pocket on a long term basis . So, go look in the archives using the search function.

If that doesn't make Ed post, nothing will.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:46 AM

Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig is on a distinguished road
My process should also be found in the archives and does not use renite but the cork I use is far finer than 40/80 grit- I don't know the actual grit size but would guess 220 and above,- its like very fine dust. If you blow on a handful, a lot of it will stay airborne a long time
A common cause of scratches even in a good pasted mold is not keeping things clean- like putting the mold on the floor when blowing and then polluting the dipping water with dirt from the floor. Even dirty water in your block bucket. Everything has to be clean and kept clean- change water etc.
Of the other thousand variations, blowing too hard or staying too long in the mold, will do it.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:55 AM

I could have asked if its like in the same place or random? lots of them or few? Consistent every piece or just now and then?
Old 10-30-2015, 01:32 PM
Evan Hurley

evanhurley is on a distinguished road
Micheal-

Thank you for your response.
the mold we are having particular issues with has been re-corked three times now, and the majority of the scratches are in the center of the piece.

They are faint, but noticable, and fairly consistant. We blow into it about 1 every 10 minutes. some scratches are deeper than others.

How many layers of this very fine cork do you use? it's less abrasive than a 40/80? What effect do you think begining with 40/80 and then finishing with a layer of 80/200 would be?
Old 10-30-2015, 02:45 PM

Have you found my long description of what I do in the archives?
On a new- graphite- mold it is enough with two layers - it will last several hundred pieces, say on a wineglass cup, on a more complicated mold with sharp edges maybe 50 to a 100- it depends- is it clear glass? Or color on the outside- which is abrasive
I don't have much experience with steel molds, but I imagine its about the same as graphite
i have no experience with 40/80 grit cork- Im in sweden and get the cork from Essemce, and do it like I've said, because thats the way we do it, and it works.