CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 10:17 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Making an exhaust set up.. would this work?

I have a crazy idea... I want to make a fuming chamber, but Im concerned about gumming up the exhaust fan. Im wondering if this concept in my brain would work- a high velocity blower would push air above the chamber and out of the building.. down stream of the fans outlet pipe and just behind the back of th chamber would be a y in th line with the downward part of the y going into the back of the plastic fuming chamber. My logic is that the air passing through the main line would create a vacuum in the lower line and pull the air from the chamber up and through th pipe. A simple sliding baffle would control how much air would be pulled.

I think this will work.
Second question- where does one buy Tyzor from? If anyone here knows and doesnt want to publicly mention it, Id love a private message.
Eventually I would use stannous but for simplicity Id like to start simple.

Thanks !
Old 02-21-2018, 04:06 PM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
You can start here:

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog...g=en&region=US

They have a cart with a price. Not sure if that's a good price on 250 ml or not but they have a lot of ways to get a hold of someone there.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Kube View Post
You can start here:

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog...g=en&region=US

They have a cart with a price. Not sure if that's a good price on 250 ml or not but they have a lot of ways to get a hold of someone there.
I saw that earlier and found that price to be outrageous. Id be interested in gallons of the stuff
Old 02-22-2018, 08:09 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Not to mention that it's a really crappy looking fume. Talk about flat.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
Not to mention that it's a really crappy looking fume. Talk about flat.
Im not so sure about that. I have seen some really vibrant glass fumed with it. However, I agree that tin does look better.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:25 AM
The Old Gaffer

keep in mind that a fume success is also related to the composition of the glass being fumed as well as the temperature it occurs at. Lead glasses took fumes far better, particularly if you look back to the art nouveau period. Tiffany, Carder, Galle, Christian. Plate reduced glass jumps with a fume. High sodium Cullet, not so much.

If that site really reflect the cost of 250ml, Stannous chloride is a far better buy.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:06 AM

Pete, have you tried making stannous? seems like it would be the same process as making silver nitrate, no?
Old 02-22-2018, 10:55 AM

Jeffrey Mentuck is on a distinguished road
I used to work for Peet Robison years ago and he did a lot of fuming work. I wish I had pics of his booth, but in essence I remember a glory hole like drum with a direct fan that vented immediately outside. You would go on a yolk just like a reheat and push a foot pedal that activated the fume spray.

This is one of those things that seems to me you want to be real sure you're doing right!
Old 02-22-2018, 12:13 PM
The Old Gaffer

Peet's was modelled on mine which isn't saying much. You do want a large drum if you're fuming any open pieces. Getting the piece too near the spray could ruin a lot of stuff. If the fan is tied to the solenoid that lets the air through to the venturi, it is a bit slow starting up which I view as good since I don't want the spray dragged out of the booth too quickly but by the same token, when I step off the pedal, the blower turns for a bit longer and carries away the remnant smoke. It is drawn into a secondary exhaust which is a lot more powerful.

Fuming is not a scary thing anymore than mixing your own glass or using Spruce Pine. If you wanted something completely safe to get into, Glass isn't it. Even so, the morbidity actuarials for glass workers involves alcohol and tobacco. I know a lot of 85 year old glass people.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:15 PM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben Horton View Post
Pete, have you tried making stannous? seems like it would be the same process as making silver nitrate, no?
I never have and just don't need to. I have about 100 lbs of the chloride still here from the glory days. But actually, it's a bit more complicated than doing silver nitrate.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:10 PM

Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig is on a distinguished road
Well it might work if you have a hell of a fan-
I used a welding exhaust fan 3600 rpm I believe- had a friend make a stainless impeller and coated the inside of the fan with epoxy, the barrel itself is stainless steel, and its bleeding green stuff- chrome? I have a time relay on the foot pedal thar evacuate the barrel about 10 sek after I let go of the foot pedal. Ive only used tin chloride so I dont know about the the other stuff- its gotten expensive over the years, about 300$ for 5 kilos
Old 02-22-2018, 09:13 PM

Ron Mynatt is on a distinguished road
For the TIPT I use Grace. last purchase was 13.23 per lb It comes in a 5 gal or 55 gal drum .It is 8 lbs per gallon I think.Phone is 888 227 8925 Connor was the person I spoke with. The 55 gallon drum is much cheaper and I have some that is sealed and in the 55 gal drum and is still good after 20 years.5 gal is what most glass artist get.Be sure to give them you state resale tax info since it goes into your product so you can avoid them charging you sales tax.The TIPT will not gum up a blower since soon after it hits the air it becomes a fine dust.Only the stannous needs the inline blower The blower that I have found that works best is a 3 or 4 " Jabsco inline blower (Ebay) it is all plastic except for the shaft and you can paint that to avoid it corroding
Old 02-22-2018, 10:25 PM

Mark Rosenbaum is on a distinguished road
Where are you exhausting the fumes? Out in the open? I have a Torit system that has two filters that the air runs through before it goes to the open air.
You also have to be VERY careful not to fume too hot, or with too much solution or you can ignite the chamber (I know from experience) It is like a rocket engine and can scare the shit out of you and burn you if you aren't careful.
Ron's price is pretty spot-on. I get a 5 gallon bucket and it lasts a long time.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:32 AM

Thanks guys !!!!
I very much appreciate the help.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:12 AM
The Old Gaffer

actually, Stannous Chloride sounds much safer.