CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 11-21-2015, 10:57 PM

Joe Cariati is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosenbaum View Post
I melt at 2150, one bag each hour or until flat, hold six hours, drop to 1950 squeeze one hour, up to 2000 hold until morning....working temp = 2050
I do this for 150-200lbs....it will recover slower with a #500 melt
The glass is the same as Spruce Pine, it is softer than Fenton.
Thanks. I'll pass this on to him.

Will you speak to general quality? What's your assessment, seedy first day, fines out after? Are you running into any stones or striae?

Also, does anyone do any kind of dip tests during the melts? I've been following our batch melts carefully since March and wonder if there are any parallels to be drawn.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:04 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
[quote=Joe Cariati;126345]

Are you running into any stones or striae?

/QUOTE]

Red flag question...
Old 11-22-2015, 11:45 AM

Joe Cariati is on a distinguished road
[quote=Pete VanderLaan;126348]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cariati View Post

Are you running into any stones or striae?

/QUOTE]

Red flag question...
If you need to let sleeping dogs lie, I get it. But it would be keen to know if this is simply a norm with 2.0 and folks expect it and deal with it. My guy has seen a couple tiny stones in his actual nugget chunks, and has mentioned striae. I never see either in my batch melts. If it's the norm, so be it. But it's been some time since the 2.0 has been released and would be nice to know if the quality has improved overall for other users on the board. **This thread has been great, but an update on recent usage and expectations could certainly use an update.

Last edited by Joe Cariati; 11-22-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:45 PM
The Old Gaffer

Batch stones and pot stones are different things. If you can't get your glass to fine out and it has stones and striae and you only have that problem with a particular glass, it says a lot about the glass. In general, pot stones are not something that really happen as much as they did in our now distant past. Pots are actually made better and some people actually retire them on a reasonable schedule, So, most stones come from the "I want my glass in a hurry" mentality.
Spectrum was indeed having troubles with the cullet back in the late fall and winter. I do not recall it being the 2.0 but rather the nuggets. Supposedly this was all cured with a new furnace and attentive operators so I kind of have to wonder what your friend is really melting if he/she is getting stones and cords. There really should not be even occasional stones unless the roof is falling in.

People almost never update once things are working which makes it harder.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:11 PM

Mark Rosenbaum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cariati View Post
Thanks. I'll pass this on to him.

Will you speak to general quality? What's your assessment, seedy first day, fines out after? Are you running into any stones or striae?

Also, does anyone do any kind of dip tests during the melts? I've been following our batch melts carefully since March and wonder if there are any parallels to be drawn.
Quality is good for my work. I don't charge more than #200 a day. If I am done charging by 7:30, it is pretty good the next morning. Some tiny pin seeds if you rushed the charges. Second day is perfect.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:01 AM
AbbyNormal User

Scott Novota is on a distinguished road
I second Mark's experience here. I charge around 75lbs a night and have good glass without doing anything the next late morning. I have the furnace at 2050f and never touch it.

The very first bags of Prem2.0 cullet I got produced some hazy glass but I was melting in a newly rebuilt furnace and it went away after about 3 full pot charges. I chunked it up to "rebuild crud" and have not had any issues at all since.

PS. Mark I want to make a trip over to pick up a spare Moly Element from Ardin and would like to drop by your place. What is a good time to not surprise you.

Last edited by Scott Novota; 11-23-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:06 PM

Mark Rosenbaum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Novota View Post
I second Mark's experience here. I charge around 75lbs a night and have good glass without doing anything the next late morning. I have the furnace at 2050f and never touch it.

The very first bags of Prem2.0 cullet I got produced some hazy glass but I was melting in a newly rebuilt furnace and it went away after about 3 full pot charges. I chunked it up to "rebuild crud" and have not had any issues at all since.

PS. Mark I want to make a trip over to pick up a spare Moly Element from Ardin and would like to drop by your place. What is a good time to not surprise you.
I'm usually here M-F...I have a trunk sale at Beau Rivage 12/15-18. Other than that, my calendar is clear until 1/12. C'mon over!
Old 03-01-2016, 07:46 PM

Pringle Teetor is on a distinguished road
I was just looking at this tread again. So after our major problem with the cullet including parts of a broken down furnace in 2015 (spectrum), our glass was replaced by glass straight from the factory. We were told it went through several quality controls. We received the glass about 2 weeks before we shut down for the summer, so we didn't touch it. Over the summer we replaced our crucible and cranked up again in the end of September. Just because, I am still washing and checking each piece of cullet, going as far as using distilled water to rinse (we are on an old well and don't trust the water). We still have micro bubbles. It's been so long since we have had nice clean glass I've forgotten what it is like. I know - I can hear Pete now. No we can't batch - too many reasons. Yes we get what we pay for. I throw out about 25-30 pieces per bag because of this. The pic sucks (sorry) but there are tiny stones in the cubes. Sometimes its a smear of something unmelted. I am taking a bagful with me to GAS to talk to the Spectrum people, assuming they will be there. I only have a few more years that I will be blowing glass and in my own studio. Getting too old. Oh well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (20.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender-1.jpg (39.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 03-02-2016, 08:07 AM
The Old Gaffer

Why not melt Spruce Pine Batch. You have choices and it seems to me you're making one. As you say, life is short. SP87 works perfectly well, it simply requires a certain amount of passion to be willing to take on the extra work.

I can understand not wanting to make one's own batch but for me, this is pretty fundamental stuff. Quality over convenience.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:01 AM

I've had chronic respiratory problems all my life. Don't have the stamina or days to do the scrape the pot and charge thing. no one around here that I could pay to do it for me. The list is very long. Wish we could get the sp cullet but can't.
😬
Old 03-02-2016, 09:54 AM

I do think about it though.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:01 AM

James Burts is on a distinguished road
A friend of mine just couple of weeks ago indicated that he was placing an order for SP cullet. It sounded like he'd spoken with them, and he believed that cullet was currently available. Is your issue with not being able to get sp cullet a problem of it not being available now, or is it over concerns of its availability the next time you need to place an order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringle Teetor View Post
I've had chronic respiratory problems all my life. Don't have the stamina or days to do the scrape the pot and charge thing. no one around here that I could pay to do it for me. The list is very long. Wish we could get the sp cullet but can't.
😬
Old 03-02-2016, 10:49 AM
PotatoFish

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
Spectrum won't be as GAS, never has been to my knowledge.
Browsed past their booth last year. At least I thought it was them. The other System 96 partner was on the opposite side of the room. Not sure what that's all about.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:58 AM
The Old Gaffer

I could be wrong. I've never seen a "Spectrum" booth but again I don't attend GAS very often. I certainly see Uroboros. I'll delete what I said about the attendance based on what you have provided here.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:59 AM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringle Teetor View Post
I do think about it though.
It's what God made undereducated 18 year olds for. They dig footings and ditches really well too. Supervision required.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:59 PM

They are not taking new customers for sp cullet the last time I hear which was last fall.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:55 AM

Bruce Cobb is on a distinguished road
I have used SP Batch for many years now. Yes, sometimes the stuff is like concrete (or seems so at first), but can be broken up relatively easily. No problems with storing it - I keep it in the shop, up off the floor, underneath some shelving.
Lately though, I've been pondering getting SP Cullet instead. My reasoning was that I have an invested pot furnace (gas-fired), which is getting on in years (not unlike me), and I don't want to have to replace it, since I'll probably just retire in a few years anyway (my blowing seasons are short). So I figured cullet, being easier to melt, might help the furnace go a bit longer. Well, after reading this thread, I see the jury is still out on that, plus there are the possible issues of availability.
Maybe I'll just stick with the tried-and-true SP Batch after all. When you think about it, making glass for the purpose of re-melting it is a big waste of energy, and thus money; the only silver lining being with the shipping, since with cullet you are getting 100% (or close to it) useable glass, whereas with batch you wind up with (I believe) somewhere closer to 80%.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:14 PM

From a supplier today:
Dear Customers,

We received word last week from Spruce Pine Batch that they will no longer produce SP Cullet. After working very hard to overcome some production problems, they have finally decided to end production entirely. Therefore, as SP distributors, we regret that we will no longer be able to take any new orders for their Cullet. Furthermore, they have raised the price of their Batch by 10˘ per pound, effective immediately.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:45 PM
The Old Gaffer

Actually, Spruce Pine is going to rebuild the furnace and is temporarily not making cullet.

The price of SP87 is indeed going up 10 cents a pound since Tom was just notified that the price of lithium carbonate is doubling immediately from $8 to 16 dollars lb . SP87 contains 1% lithium. All those little smart phones get the lithium.

Tom has in fact asked me to derive a new formula for people who would prefer a lower cost alternative that will be spot on the same expansion coefficient. That is something I'm very actively working on. Replacing lithium and expecting the working characteristics to be the same is not viable. I am going to be melting a lot of glasses and evaluating them. Some people have their studio functions worked out entirely to go along with that working range and they may well stay with SP87. For many, that range may not matter as much and a lower cost non lithium alternative is going to be more attractive. I have to factor in ease of melting, brilliance of the glass, viscosity, expansion and cost. Finally, will it pelletize? There is no free lunch. If it is the case that Spectrum 2.0 does have lithium in it, you should anticipate that the prices will rise around all boats and boathouses.

It is not clear to me what the cullet that will be melted at SP will be at all. I would imagine the original but I don't know that. What I do know is switching back and forth rarely works well.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:04 PM

Jacqueline Knight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
I have to factor in ease of melting, brilliance of the glass, viscosity, expansion and cost. Finally, will it pelletize?
I like these factors however, the 3 things that matter most to me in order are:

1. Pelletization (i.e. dust/safety in handling)
2. Ease of melting (i.e.. fuel costs)
3. Viscosity (i.e. workability - I like the word viscosity better)

Another thing to consider perhaps is durability but that is kind of expected. I think we need a poll!
Old 04-26-2016, 07:32 AM
The Old Gaffer

With ease of melting and workability, you get corrosion of the pot as a bonus prize you didn't ask for.

Viscosity is not the same as workability. Workability is more like transition.

Pelletizing is a process that has nothing to do with the characteristics of the glass. Remember " Randomly pelletized bags"

Durability is in direct opposition to workability.

I would only want a poll on this where decision and consequence meant something. One thing directly affects another
Old 04-26-2016, 11:30 AM

Jacqueline Knight is on a distinguished road
Thank you for clarifying these factors for us Pete, that's why you're Prof. Glass
Old 04-26-2016, 02:00 PM

Hugh Jenkins is on a distinguished road
I think the original Spectrum was very easy melting. You could essentially load the pot and leave it at gathering temp and it would be ready the next day, or almost. But, it does make deposits in the stack that is trouble for recuperators.

The SP cullet is a bit more like melting batch. It does melt down quickly by comparison, but it has to be heated up pretty good to fine out. I will know for my summer shut down what it deposits in the stack. However, my final heat for SP cullet is 2290 compared to 2390 for the Philips I was using.

The Philips batch was one of the cleanest glasses I have ever used in so far as stack clogging. It also gathered best at around 2100 compared to 2060 or so for SP. The rock hard pellets were great to handle but after any time in a humid climate, they had to be preheated or they popped.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:34 PM
The Old Gaffer

I need to amend the post I put up yesterday so people don't expect immediate results. Getting the refractories for the replacement ( not rebuilt) furnace have a minimum six month lead time so don't expect this to change right away.

As to batch costs, my cost for Lithium Carbonate has hit $16.00 lb very recently . I rarely use it except for little baths for my colorants sometimes in difficult glasses. If I had to put macro dollars worth of Lithium in every 100 lbs of batch it would hit me between the eyes. It again is interesting to me how much reaction there can be to a price increase of a material which adds something like .30-.50 cents to the cost of the blown glass product which is usually selling for a great deal more than that. Maybe a price increase per piece of .50 cents would cover it at the shows.

As to melt issues, Spectrum original if you mean the system 96 nuggets did indeed melt easily but the glass also dissolved the furnaces. Borax is a two edged sword for a variety of reasons. I've certainly heard people say they find a lot of stuff in their recuperators. I'll report back on mine next Spring. Right now, I have no plans for borax in the new glass.

At this point, I think Spruce Pine is making every effort to supply the products that people feel they need.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:32 AM

Trevor Pierce is on a distinguished road
System 96 studio nugs absolutely leave all sorts of stuff in the recuperator and around doors… I chisel ours out 2 to 3 times a year. Oh how I wish there was a better glass nugget that responded just as well for hot casting and blowing (not the best for blowing but it works just fine). Guess I will have to just continue helping these furnaces limp along till their death.