CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 09-29-2019, 08:54 PM

Charles Willis is on a distinguished road
System 96 + Glasma mismatch

I had a very interesting failure recently and I thought Iíd post the story here. Maybe it will sound familiar to somebody or maybe it will save someone some trouble. I made murrine by fusing stacks of System 96 sheets and cutting the resulting blocks into squares. The murrine were 6 mm thick and I framed them with strips of black and white. After rolling it up I covered it with one gather of Glasma.

A week after making, I did a flat grind on the bottom and put it on a shelf. Two weeks after making, it spontaneously exploded. From the other side of the house, it sounded like somebody dropped a pile of dishes.

The obvious suspect is 12 different colors of System 96 but I have had a couple of failures using Reichenbach colors with Glasma while I didnít have a single one in my previous studio using Cristalica. I realize that Iím mixing some unusual things but if anyone has any ideas, Iíd like to hear them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fused murrines.jpg (31.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Broken Fused murrines.jpg (36.1 KB, 75 views)
Old 09-29-2019, 09:47 PM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
You are mixing some unusual things.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:48 PM

Patrick Casanova is on a distinguished road
To my eye looking at your images, I'd say it is not a compatibility issue. I say that based on the fractures not appearing to have anything to do with the patterning or layering. You mention an old studio and not having problems. I'm guessing that this piece got put away a little cool and the stress from putting it away was not removed when annealing. I think the culprit is in your process somewhere. What do your polarized lenses show? My 2 cents worth.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:36 PM

Patrick Casanova is on a distinguished road
I'd suggest that next time you blow, throw the pieces in the oven, bring it up a little slower than normal and up to the higher end of your normal temperature range. Let it soak while you work and re-anneal them. So now you know annealing is not an issue. Then take some butter cut or masking material and cover some areas. (Inside surface) Then cut out stars and lightning bolts over each color. Then lightly sandblast through the color layer exposing the clear. After cleaning it up start inspecting it from the outside surface under a good light. If you have a compatibility problem you'll see hairline cracks off the points and tight valleys. It's Old School but it's how we used to test the changing cutlets against our colors before the smart kids came along.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:15 AM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
What's the coe on the glasma? Been to both their sites, and through some of our archives, but not getting a result, just "designed to work with colors".

System 96, especially the plate, was never made with blowers in mind. It's also not really 96 according to the pros on here.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:53 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
what the photo fails to show clearly is whether there is other color for the inside gather and that would indeed promote the mismatch.

The outside color appears to either have been worked really cold, so that much of the color stands proud on the surface or the color stands proud because of substantial mismatch on viscosity. Either way, it's mismatch. I very much doubt it's the annealing.

I know enough people who use commonly accessed GLASMA batches to not suspect it has some wild L.E.C. The Sys96 is a known 94.1. That going together with the GLASMA, which is in the 96-96.5 range more than enough to cause the break.

My opinion though. What do I know? I liked Jordan's answer.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:59 PM

I think it was a collar roll up, there's a lot of texture on the interior of that piece. He said he gathered over so there shouldn't be any exterior texture, which is evident on the first photo.

I too thought glasma was going to be closer to spruce, and we already know about spruces's problems with system "96". I was able to get away with some system and cristalica mixes.

Last edited by Shawn Everette; 09-30-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:51 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
The grinding really messes with the surface tension of the glass. Pieces that would hold together for long perids of time will break up rapidly once the grind is done.

That's true of taking Kugler opaques and working them with SP87. If you grind them they will more often than not, fail. Spruce Pine made the SP83 specifically to match the kugler opaques which all hover around an 88-89. The opaque reds and yellows are more like an 85 and since those colors do not contain any lead, they are far more sensitive to mismatch.

Cristalica is measurable at between 96.8 and 97+, making it higher than SP87. Any of these glasses that haven't broken, in my mind, haven't broken yet. I tend to think that much of the glass made since 1970 or so won't be here for all that long.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:40 PM

Don't cold work, got it.

I gave up on Kugler early on after fighting with some imperial red and oxblood. That and constant shipping errors. Any idea what Zimmerman was? I've got a really great ruby that's never been compatible.

There's a local museum with a collection from mostly the 70's and 80's; Labino, Lipofsky, Littleton, Dale, Jolley, ect... Have noticed cracks in several of the pieces. Most people wouldn't give it a second thought, but as a blower it's the first thing you see.