CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 10-19-2019, 10:14 PM

Philip Yamron is on a distinguished road
Gb4 issues. Need some advice

So my gb4 unit is having issues. I'm not the original owner. It's 18 years old. Basically unit 1 wasn't advancing to step 2 and would do nothing. I spoke with Ron at Digitry. Super helpful and resolved the issue by switching the annealer connections to unit 4 which was unused. Problem solved. Well now unit 3 is doing the same thing. I have a call into Digitry. I have no backup controller so sending it out for repair shuts me down for that period of time. I have classes running, renters, orders and projects in the works. So studio shutdown isn't an option.

That's not what my question is though.
I found a new gb4 for $500. Unused but it's 20 years old. My current unit is 18 years old.
Thinking about gambling on the 20 year old new unit and then sending my current unit in for repair. Then I'll have a backup.
A new GB5 is about $1500

My question is, am I just being stupid and cheap? Is 20 years old unused still "new" or should I assume electronics don't age well. My wife thinks I should just invest in a new gb5 and repair the old one as a backup when I can. She sees it as a vital piece of equipment that warrants the investment.

Looking for some input if you have any. Thanks in advance.
Philip
Old 10-19-2019, 11:42 PM

Marty Kremer is on a distinguished road
Ron's usually got some older stuff lying around. Ask him.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:43 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Id buy the old one.

In the mean time - You could just manually anneal by having step 1 be your annealing hold and step 2 be 8 hours to 100. Advance it a couple hours after you are done blowing.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:52 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Stupid and Cheap? Maybe but unprepared is more like it. I am continually amazed by shops that have renters, orders, employees etc who don't even keep a backup crucible. Then, when they call, it can be three weeks to get the new pot.
Everyone gets laid off which they love, renters seek new sites, orders get cancelled.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:08 AM

Well I am aware that I'm unprepared. That's not in question. I'm more curious about people's thoughts and experience regarding older electronics.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:14 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Some is OK, some seems to develop issues with the physical switches more than with the circuitry. I have a lot of LOVE units that have desensitized push buttons which is I suspect just coatings on the electrodes. I've actually only had one fail at a function which was the ramp and soak.
Mt problem with the digitry has always been the reliance on one box to run too many things so that when it has issues, you have tons of issues. I still prefer single source functions for electronics for that reason. On general? Switching tools don't work as well as they seem to have once worked. My compressor attests to that regularly. I mean , now I keep a spare pressure switch for the 5HP. I never would have done that earlier.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:25 PM

Mark Rosenbaum is on a distinguished road
If you are that booked with classes, renters, orders, etc., your losses of days would be much greater than the $500 for a used GB4. Get it, send your old one in for repairs, and you have a good back-up if you need one.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:15 AM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
Buy both. Or at least let me know if you don't want the 4 cause I'll buy it. Generically the circuitry should be fine if it was unused and stored well, e.g. not in a barn.

There are some new bells and whistles on the 5's, if you're in a public shop they can come in handy.

When I was in undergrad they sent us a loaner while ours was in for repair, don't know if they do that anymore.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:22 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosenbaum View Post
If you are that booked with classes, renters, orders, etc., your losses of days would be much greater than the $500 for a used GB4. Get it, send your old one in for repairs, and you have a good back-up if you need one.
This !l

I have 2 gb4s as backups for my gb5
Old 10-21-2019, 04:07 PM

Marty Kremer is on a distinguished road
I'm fortunate to be in the same 'hood as Ron Digitry and ended up with 4 GB1s, one for each kiln. I love redundancy.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:55 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. I've decided to go with the 20 year old gb4 and have my current unit repaired as a back up. It seems nobody had any concern or second thoughts about it's age and that was what I was unsure of.
Thanks for you input
Philip
Old 10-28-2019, 02:55 PM

Hugh Jenkins is on a distinguished road
I am using a GB4 in the 18th year and have no problems. I keep it inside the driest cleanest place in the studio and wire the needed distance to have it protected.

And yes, I am back on for another glass run of at least a few months. I took 6 months out for a shoulder repair, and am slowly working the strength back up. Range of motion is great. Muscle memory is coming back too. No pain is so much a gain.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:14 PM

Rollin Karg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Yamron View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. I've decided to go with the 20 year old gb4 and have my current unit repaired as a back up. It seems nobody had any concern or second thoughts about it's age and that was what I was unsure of.
Thanks for you input
Philip
Good move, you wont regret it