CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 12-18-2019, 08:30 AM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
I'm curious to how many artists in general. One of the ultimate failings of art schools is that they don't teach them how to make any money, independently or as a career. Humanities degrees have been tricking students into near lifetime debt and minimum wage jobs for a couple generations now. Maybe something will give, but I'm guessing they're too busy printing degrees.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:21 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Everette View Post
I'm curious to how many artists in general. One of the ultimate failings of art schools is that they don't teach them how to make any money, independently or as a career. Humanities degrees have been tricking students into near lifetime debt and minimum wage jobs for a couple generations now. Maybe something will give, but I'm guessing they're too busy printing degrees.
You should have gone to RIT. (School for American crafts). I was able to focus my glass education solely on developing my skills to be able to succeed in design/ making of marketable works in glass. But you said “art schools”. Rit was a craft school.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:45 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
well, making the jump into private glass stuudios was never the intent or focus of any of the programs in the sixties and seventies. Actually, once many schools found out how expensive those programs were, they simply shuttered them. Some didn't but only because the fuel bills were comingled with the entire campus. The ones that stayed hidden did alright in terms of surviving.

But placing graduates in design type positions failed everywhere the schools tried and it was a genuine concern. First, teach the teachers, then place the grads in factories, then collectors saved the day for some time for the best of them.
That's pretty much gone as a career choice in Art with a capital A. What remains is pretty much a reversion to craft which is what Dale was railing against. My niece is considered a major success at RISD having "Made it" and indeed she has. She designs lightweight bags, markets through the NY Gift show and they're mostly made in China. She needs one show a year and has seven employees in NYC and three in Oakland Ca. They're called BAGGU. It is not however what the young art student aspired to. They're the draw the pirate type from the match books.
Running a glass studio is like running an endless mile. The bills just keep hitting the mailbox, the shows keep shrinking, the willingness to make exciting work, diminishing. I find it to be very sad that we are where we are today.

And yes to tom's question. We can write a business plan, but today I wouldn't pursue it. When I stop, I won't sell the tooling. I'll mothball it and hope someone eventually is amazed at what they find.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:47 AM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben Horton View Post
You should have gone to RIT. (School for American crafts). I was able to focus my glass education solely on developing my skills to be able to succeed in design/ making of marketable works in glass. But you said “art schools”. Rit was a craft school.
I love the school mascot. A Screwdriver.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:48 AM

Paul Thompson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
... not willing to be a craft fair bedouine ...
Very descriptive (and moderately depressing) term
Old 12-18-2019, 11:58 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I love the school mascot. A Screwdriver.
Not to be confused with the Amish school of technology - who’s symbol is a plow and a hammer
Old 12-18-2019, 12:20 PM

Props to RIT and the handful of schools that may actually allow you to become a good craftsman and designer, the vast majority are lacking in such. My experience in glass in undergrad was formative, but overall university experience was lacking. A singular class teaching you how to get the most out of your taxes and write a prospectus would have been helpful. Grad gave me enough freedom to do what I want, but I had to learn to back it up with words, honest articulate ones. The savvy that came after was thanks to the school of hard knocks.

I can't imagine that the situation at "art schools" is going to get much better considering the adjunct problem, and I don't see a ton of them maneuvering to the craft agenda. Most of the examples I've seen of late are still pushing that the idea is more important than the execution, the antithesis of craft. Maybe they just need to start handing out bananas and duct tape, they come in all sorts of colors now.

Last edited by Shawn Everette; 12-18-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:58 PM

Chris Lowry is on a distinguished road
My quick response is that the difference between success and failure is not knowing that 1+1=2 but why 1+1=2.

School could teach us facts like how to build a furnace or how to make a mold but that doesn’t help when we don’t know what to make.

I feel like my experience at Alfred helped learn how to think, how to look beyond the obvious, and how to express an idea.

I don’t have huge artistic statements to make but I do think about why I do what I do and hope to make each piece better.

Hopefully luck will be on my side and I can continue to blow glass until I die.

On another note, Pete I want your grinding equipment, I understand it’s value.
Old 12-18-2019, 01:36 PM

Instruction is subjective, as is art, but with some of the people I've encountered it seems like schools are teaching 2+2=banana-duck tape. Expression of ideas is great, execution is paramount.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:51 PM
The Old Gaffer

[quote=Eben Horton;146325]Not to be confused with the Amish school of technology - who’s symbol is a plow and a hammer[/QUOTE
I have a shirt that shows its a wheel.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:08 PM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Everette View Post
Props to RIT and the handful of schools that may actually allow you to become a good craftsman and designer, the vast majority are lacking in such. My experience in glass in undergrad was formative, but overall university experience was lacking. A singular class teaching you how to get the most out of your taxes and write a prospectus would have been helpful. Grad gave me enough freedom to do what I want, but I had to learn to back it up with words, honest articulate ones. The savvy that came after was thanks to the school of hard knocks.

I can't imagine that the situation at "art schools" is going to get much better considering the adjunct problem, and I don't see a ton of them maneuvering to the craft agenda. Most of the examples I've seen of late are still pushing that the idea is more important than the execution, the antithesis of craft. Maybe they just need to start handing out bananas and duct tape, they come in all sorts of colors now.
The problems you cite have beeen around the entire time Shawn. This was in rennaissance in the '60's, a time when students all over the country were rejecting the values you refer to now.They hated the war, the jobs, the class definitions, the segregation. They didn't want tax classes. They wanted to pollwog around in the mud and to make things.

A fair number made it work. Neurot, Orient and Flume, Jim Lundberg, Correa, and they fluorished while a number of them had tie dyed shirts and were the truck drivers of the art world. It really took way more glass people than the market could support to begin the culling process. It was really only Dale who wanted the big time. But the grand sorting out? We're there.

We've always had bananas and duct tape. Back then it was Andy Warhol and the monotype press. Faster than oils.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:24 PM

Now back then were the students being taught to reject the values, or was this something that being wrought internally? Cause I was under the impression that it was the latter, and now these are/were the people teaching this mindset. At least in a craft environment you can start to separate the wheat from the chaff, some places don't care as long as you can pay the tuition.

I always hated Duchamp until I realized the point he was trying to make. Even Warhol I'd give a grain of thought to, but some things are either a front for money laundering or done to prove how dumb rich people are.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:00 PM
The Old Gaffer

I suspect teaching art is a crap shoot. What I always loved were the visual images of others work. The schools pushed you to have your portfolio together and that was viewed as a big deal. At RISD, Students were taught to draw their projects.

I spent decades polishing Schott to precision levels. At one point an article showed up with this Dutch snot who the article said "Liked to amuse himself gluing random pieces of the material together.

Actually, art is hard work. You can go in the studio in the morning, come out at night and have nothing. There was this guy in New York doing not dissimilar stuff, . Terrible stuff, selling well.

I look back and harbor no regrets. I've mainly been criticized for being too direct in what I think. maybe, but I won't stop. Do remember that I didn't go to art school.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:25 PM
Triggered

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
Quote:
...Andy Warhol and the monotype press. Faster than oils.
Not monotype. Silkscreen.

Monotypes are not reproducible, hence the name.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:36 PM
The Old Gaffer

Don't get lost in the weeds. Warhol did a lot of monotype with ink changes every run. If he screened I'm simply not aware but I'm no expert. What I do know is he wanted the paint to dry really fast.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:19 PM

Teaching art can be a pain, but a really cathartic one when it goes well. Craft aside, it's difficult to direct student to making the objects they really want, rather than the ones you want them to make.

Portfolios were always pushed, but I can't say I know anyone that got anything through a cold ask, even with a fantastic one. Images rarely do dimensional work justice.

One of the things that I think stunts a lot of glass students is that they don't really think about what they are making until they're on the bench. They have an idea, then forget what they're doing half way through. I make a practice of doing some form of drafting before fully engaging a project, many never make it to the shop. There's always time for experimentation, after you've made what planned on making.

I hope that I speak for all of us when I ask that you never stop being direct.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:13 PM
The Old Gaffer

I think a really good question to ask any art student is : So, why did you decide to use glass in the piece presented here? There's lots of materials. Why Glass?
Old 12-18-2019, 07:40 PM

Always, ask that one, always. Just don't believe most of the garbage that comes out of established artists.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:48 AM
The Old Gaffer

I've probably said it before but my dad once said "Glass is a chalice for light."

That has stayed with me.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:12 AM

Sky Campbell is on a distinguished road
Leon Applebaum is not only a talented artist he’s also a great guy. I encourage anyone who’s interested in heavily carved and polished work to check him out. He has inspired and helped a lot of people I know. He is humble kind and dedicated to our medium. His work is part of Corning’s permanent collection and he deserves much respect.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:43 AM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
I am baffled by a lot of the "Art World" these days. Went to the Venice Biennale this past May. A lot of it would be better ascribed to a lack of meds than artistic merit.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:59 PM

Tom Fuhrman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Freas View Post
I am baffled by a lot of the "Art World" these days. Went to the Venice Biennale this past May. A lot of it would be better ascribed to a lack of meds than artistic merit.
I would blame a lot of what we see today on the "art critics" and lack of understanding of good art criticism. Most are journalists that took art inn graduate work or vice versa.
Attend the national conferences for ncollege art educators and you will walk away, shaking your head.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:07 PM
The Old Gaffer

you will remain baffled, trust me. Mary Beth used to suggest that artists were like a group trying to cross a river and everyone held hands. If one fell, they all did.
Old 12-25-2019, 07:07 AM

Rollin Karg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben Horton View Post
I keep attempting to reply to this thread but stop myself as I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings.

My thoughts are that there are a bunch of studios out there that are valuable enough to sell as a business. They are too busy making glass and money to spend time on craftweb.
Amen Eben, well said !