CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 05-07-2020, 11:55 AM

David Russell is on a distinguished road
Drinkware/color

I am curious how many (if any) of you make drinkware with exposed color on the inside? I have read past discussions about this topic and I am curious what prevails in the field. A hello and thanks to you all!
Old 05-07-2020, 12:40 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Using color that contain lead would be met with frowns. The beverage industry self regulates and doesn't want color within a 1/4 inch of the lip.

For some, who sell wares to chains experience friction from the chains insisting that the vendor guarantee the makeup of the wares. That's beyond then ken of most studios but is typical of the places that use lawyers in their purchasing.

At least that's the line I keep hearing.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:03 PM

David Russell is on a distinguished road
And most german colors contain enough lead to be a factor if I remember correctly?
Old 05-07-2020, 04:49 PM
The Old Gaffer

Most German color is a 24 % lead base with the exception of the bright red and yellow glasses which are lead free. Lead makes cadmium yellow turn an ugly brown. If there are other colors that are lead free, I'm not aware of them, beyond my own. Lead tends to make Linear expansion issues more forgiving when mismatch occurs.

It would not be all that hard to make some colors using cullet of your own. It's limiting certainly. Spruce Pine color base or regular will make a fair number of colors.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:01 AM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
There are a few "eco" colors outside of red and yellow that are supposed to be lead free. Pallet is limited.

I tell all of my students that it's a concern, but I've yet to see one that doesn't throw a heap of color on and give no ****s. None yet to be diagnosed with lead poisoning.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:07 AM
The Old Gaffer

No lead poisoning, nor will there be. The notion of lead leech can occur with decanters made with lead which are almost non existent now. If the liquor stayed in the decanter long enough, it could show contaminants. Not true of glasses that get poured and drunk quickly. I don't think it's a serious issue if you are making stuff for small sales.

What you will have trouble with are businesses that will require "Proof" to release liability. Best to not deal with them. That mindset is already antithetical to the notion of handmade things.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:46 PM

Yes, use fine, storage no no. If it was an issue I expect that it would have been dealt with like they do with ceramics.

Realistically all of the health risks fall on us when the goop is hot, gotta love the smell of cadmium in the morning.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:13 PM
The Old Gaffer

It's the sulfur that smells.

If you look at the long view, getting involved with the places like Pier One fundamentally were not what we were aiming at so long ago as young counter culturalists.

This has been a fifty year long strange trip, one foot after the next.

We could melt hot glass!! Who knew -1962!!

We moved on.

By 1976 we dumped the notion of "one man one Piece" ( EISCH!! Chihuly )

Go blah blah blah for forty years and here we are.

Get out of life what you think you want to show you were here. It's short.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:17 AM

I thought it was the arsenic that was pouring out of the white.

It does seem oddish that it took til the 60's for glass to become Art, I guess blame the Italians.

I'm really curious how everything that's going on is going to shift things. I know several people that make their cash in the summer and this is going to devastate them. My old place got PPP and is opening back up, new place I can't really tell what the plan is.

Currently doing promo vids for my new vendor, hoping that pans out for something.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:39 PM
The Old Gaffer

Arsenic gasses out of the glass when it's molten and/or founding batch. It will out gas from white lead arsenate powder. A sweet smell. Lead leeches out of glass if the contents are acidic more readily than anything else but it leeches enough to be an issue in decanters. It's really slow to do it. It got it's reputation in house paint in the forties- sixties as the bright easily colored paint began to peel from the walls and kids ate it- again really sweet Causing brain damage

I find it interesting that as I age, my spelling is getting worse and worse and that can be attributable to lead in the old adage, "Lead makes you stupid".
I'm a prima facie case of that.

Beyond that, there's an ugly rough road ahead in the arts. It's the first thing into the tank and always the last one out. I supect that when people think they will get their old jobs back, it might be true but at a far lower pay as business tests the waters on costs. The field will be seriously winnowed. I no longer have any sales outlets at all actually and the cost of electricity here for just running the tools is equaling the cost of propane for the furnace . We will pretty much just live on fumes and that's hard because I do love making things from glass.

I'm looking at raising mushrooms but even that needs a robust restaurant scene.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:00 PM

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
I'm looking at raising mushrooms but even that needs a robust restaurant scene.
Depends on what type of mushrooms
Old 05-10-2020, 05:35 PM

There's that distinct smell of R61 powder every time you coat. Got a good whiff of it in my younger days when I was right above a piece while papering it, lungs burned for about a day. I pretty much only use 610 since.

You might be lucky that it's the lead doing it, there's plenty of people that are getting dumber for worse decisions.

Hopefully I'll have my powder/cera coating kiln finished buy the end of the week. I see it as something that maintains demand even in bumpy climates. Finished the vermiculite kiln a couple weeks ago, smaller kilns present special pain in the ass problems.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:57 PM
The Old Gaffer

The acrid smell is fluorine. The sweet part is the arsenic. You'll get past the fluorine pretty quickly unless it's chronic.

The dumb part. Well, some people in govt make me look pretty good.
I do admit to virus fatigue. With the current approach I'll get it withing two years even in isolation. We'll just make a mistake along the line. Our lives are just going to be very different. Opening an economy assumes people actually want what you have for sale. Glass? I don't know. We grow poultry meat and herbs and big gardens. We can sell firewood in bulk. We're sort of OK as long as we don't get sick. I'm sort of surprised the crucible biz is doing OK.

We really need a new government desperately.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:05 PM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Vriethoff View Post
Depends on what type of mushrooms
When I turned 21, I had a friend fly six friends of mine to the Grand Canyon for lunch. We actually landed the plane on 666 south of Window Rock and taxied up to the holiday inn for breakfast. Then we went on, flying below the rim which was still legal and landed at the airport outside the park and took a shuttle in.

Frank, the pilot and I were going thru the gift shop stuff and they had things like "Maple Leaves- no two alike" for .69 cents. i was around a corner and saw this basket and yelled for Frank and he came around and we bought the entire bucket which was about a bushel of hallucinogenic Peyote mushrooms- .25 cents each. We took those home, a good score.

I used to go to the Crown Point auctions for rugs out in the western part of the state. Lots of cash moving. The only time I've ever worn a gun and you needed it. I loved that part of the world when I was a kid. Anything could and did happen.
Now, it's being devastated by the virus.

I'll grow Shiitake and Portabellas.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:36 AM

Rich Samuel is on a distinguished road
My sister's family lived and taught on the Navajo reservation back in '03 when the religious Right, having solved all the serious problems of the world, forced the government to change route 666 to 491. The locals still call it Hell's Highway.